LEMONY GLAZED SHORTBREAD BARS
prep 40 minutes bake 40 minutes at 300°F
3 cups all- purpose flour
1/3 cup cornstarch
5 to 6 lemons
11/4 cups powdered sugar
11/2 cups butter, softened
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1 recipe Lemony Glaze
1. Preheat oven to 300° F. Line a 13×9- inch baking pan with heavy foil, extending foil over edges of pan. Lightly grease foil. In a bowl stir together flour and cornstarch.
2. Remove 1/4 cup zest from the lemons and squeeze 1 Tbsp. juice from one of the lemons. In a bowl combine powdered sugar and the lemon zest. Use a wooden spoon to press zest into powdered sugar against the side of bowl until sugar is yellow and very fragrant.
3. In a large bowl beat butter, the lemon juice, salt, and vanilla with a mixer on medium until combined. Gradually beat in sugar mixture. Stir in flour mixture. With lightly floured fingers, press dough evenly into the prepared pan.
4. Bake about 40 minutes or until pale golden in color and edges start to brown.
5. Immediately spoon Lemony Glaze over hot bars, gently spreading glaze. Cool in pan on a wire rack. Use foil to lift uncut bars out of the pan; cut into bars. Makes 32 bars.
lemony glaze Remove 2 tsp. zest and squeeze 3 Tbsp. lemon juice from 1 or 2 lemons. In a bowl whisk together lemon zest and juice, 21/2 cups powdered sugar, 1 Tbsp. light- color corn syrup, and 1/2 tsp. vanilla until smooth. per bar 181 cal, 9 g fat (5 g sat. fat), 23 mg chol, 98 mg sodium, 25 g carb, 0 g fiber, 14 g sugars, 1 g pro.
MakeAhead! Bars can be stored up to 3 days in the refrigerator. Layer bars between sheets of waxed paper in an airtight container.