prep 20 minutes marinate 30 minutes grill 9 minutes
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
2 Tbsp. packed brown sugar
1 Tbsp. peanut or vegetable oil
1 Tbsp. soy sauce
1 to 2 tsp. Asian chili paste
1 large red onion, thinly sliced
and separated into rings
1/4 of a fresh pineapple, cored*
Cayenne pepper (optional)
1 recipe Grilled Hot Dogs,
see page 45**
1/2 cup thinly sliced green onions
Sesame seeds (optional)
1. In a medium bowl combine vinegar, brown sugar, oil, soy sauce, and chili paste. Add onion rings, stirring to coat. Cover; marinate at room temperature 30 minutes, stirring frequently. Drain onion rings, discarding marinade.
2. Meanwhile, cut pineapple lengthwise into four wedges. If desired, sprinkle with cayenne.
3. For a charcoal or gas grill, grill pineapple wedges, covered, over medium heat 3 to 4 minutes or until golden- brown grill marks appear, turning occasionally. Remove from grill. Chop pineapple; pat dry with paper towels. 4. Place a grill basket on grill rack until basket is hot. Add onion rings to hot basket. Grill 6 to 8 minutes or until onion rings are tender and slightly charred, stirring frequently.
5. Follow directions for Grilled Hot Dogs. Place grilled hot dogs in toasted buns. Top with pineapple and grilled onion rings. Drizzle with teriyaki sauce. If desired, sprinkle with green onions and sesame seeds. Makes 8 hot dogs.
* tip To save time, look for peeled and cored fresh pineapple in the produce section.
** tip We suggest using apple- or mango-flavor chicken sausage with these toppings.
per hot dog 315 cal, 16 g fat (6 g sat. fat), 25 mg chol, 1,057 mg sodium, 32 g carb, 1 g fiber, 11 g sugars, 10 g pro.
A DOG ON A BUN IS A BLANK CANVAS. USE FRESH SEASONAL PRODUCE, CREATIVE CONDIMENTS, AND YOUR FAVORITE FLAVORS TO MAKE YOUR OWN SIGNATURE DOG.