Rich in fiber and vitamins A and C, these little gems shine in this delictable, holiday- -worthy dessert
Pass the Persimmons They don’t get as much press as cranberries, but these tasty seasonal fruits make a great addition to any holiday table.
Spiced Persimmon Bu ndt Cake w ith Yog u rt Cream
Serves 16 You can easily make this cake gluten- free with all- purpose gluten- free flour and gluten- free wholegrain pastry flour ( try Jovial Foods). For a sugar- free cake, use a 1: 1 sugar replacement such as Ellyndale Foods Sugarless Sugar or Xlear Lite& Sweet. 1 ¼ cups all- purpose organic flour,
plus extra for dusting pan 1 large Hachiya persimmon 1 cup organic whole- wheat pastry flour 2 tsp. ground cinnamon 1 ½ tsp. pumpkin pie spice 1 ½ tsp. baking powder 1 ½ tsp. baking soda ¼ tsp. coarse salt ¾ cup organic unsalted butter ( 1 ½ sticks) 1 ½ cups plus 2 Tbs. organic sugar, divided 3 large eggs 1 tsp. vanilla extract 2 cups whole Greek yogurt, divided 2 tsp. confectioners’ sugar
1. Preheat oven to 350¡ F. Coat Bundt pan with cooking spray; dust with flour.
2. Halve persimmon, and scoop out flesh. Discard skin, and purŽe flesh until smooth. ( You should have 1 cup.)
3. Whisk together flours, cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in bowl.
4. Beat butter with electric mixer until light and fluffy. Gradually beat in 1 ½ cups sugar, and continue to beat 1 minute, or until mixture is fluffy. Beat in eggs one at a time. Beat in vanilla.
5. Reduce mixer speed to very low, and add half of flour mixture. Add half of persimmon purŽe, then remaining flour mixture, followed by remaining persimmon purŽe, and ¼ cup yogurt. Transfer batter to prepared pan, and bake 1 hour, or until toothpick inserted in center of cake comes out clean. Transfer cake to wire rack. Cool in pan 15 minutes. Unmold, and cool completely. Dust with confectioners’ sugar.
6. Whisk together remaining 1 ¾ cups yogurt and remaining 2 Tbs. sugar in bowl. Serve cake with yogurt cream. Per serving ( 1 slice cake with 2 Tbs. yogurt cream): 282 cal; 5g prot; 13g total fat ( 8g sat fat); 38g carb; 63mg chol; 205mg sod; 2g fiber; 23g sugars