Grain- Free Holiday Crackers
Fiber- packed fl ax and chia seeds shine in this festive, gluten- free appetizer
Fiber- packed chia and flax seeds shine in these festive, gluten- free treats.
Chia- Rosemary Crackers with Black Olive Hummus
These grain- free crackers are made with seeds and loaded with fiber. We used rosemary and Parmesan cheese for extra flavor. For a vegan version, swap 2– 3 Tbs. nutritional yeast for the cheese. Or skip the savory herbs and spices, and add 2 Tbs. coconut sugar for a sweeter treat. For faster prep, use pre- made hummus and skip roasting the olives. You can also swap roasted red peppers for olives. 1 cup chia seeds ½ cup flax seeds 1 ¼ cups water 1 ½ tsp. sea salt 1 tsp. garlic powder 3 Tbs. finely minced fresh rosemary ⅔ cup finely grated Parmesan or
Asiago cheese Coarse sea salt for sprinkling on crackers 1 cup pitted black olives
¼ cup plus 2 Tbs. olive oil
2 15- oz. cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed ½ cup tahini
¼ cup lemon juice
4 garlic cloves, minced
Chopped parsley for garnish
1. Preheat oven to 225° F. Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper. In medium bowl, combine chia, flax, and water. Stir to mix well. Let stand 15 minutes, stirring once or twice.
2. Add salt, garlic powder, rosemary, and cheese, and mix well. Spread mixture evenly on prepared baking sheet, spreading into thin layer to edges of pan. Bake 1 hour. Remove from oven.
3. Using edges of parchment, lift crackers from baking sheet and carefully flip onto second parchment- covered baking sheet. Peel parchment from top of crackers, and sprinkle with coarse salt, if using. Return to oven. Bake 1 hour more, or until crackers are firm. Remove from oven.
4. Score warm crackers into individual squares and let cool completely before breaking apart. ( Alternatively, let crackers cool and break into freeform pieces.)
5. While crackers are cooling, make roasted olive hummus: Heat oven to 400° F. Toss olives with 2 Tbs. olive oil, spread on baking sheet, and roast 15 minutes.
6. While olives roast, combine chickpeas, tahini, lemon juice, garlic, and remaining olive oil in food processor. Process until smooth and creamy. Add roasted olives, and pulse 8– 10 times, until olives are chopped into small bits. Transfer hummus to medium bowl, and chill 2 hours ( if you’re pressed for time, you can skip the chilling). Arrange crackers on large platter; place bowl of hummus in center. Sprinkle with parsley and serve immediately.
Per bar: 360 cal; 12g prot; 24g total fat
( 3.5g sat fat); 29g carb; 5mg chol; 610mg sod; 12g fiber; 3g sugar