Walnut and Goat Cheese Stuffed Mushrooms
Makes 15 stuffed mushrooms For an attractive holiday serving idea, arrange a single layer of fresh cranberries on a platter and top with stuffed mushrooms and other appetizers. 15 large whole cremini mushrooms
( about 1 lb.)
1 large shallot, finely chopped
Sea salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste 4 oz. ch• vre ( fresh goat cheese)
Scant ¼ cup toasted whole walnuts, finely
2 Tbs. minced fresh thyme
1 Tbs. minced fresh rosemary
1 Tbs. lemon or orange zest, optional
1. Preheat oven to 400° F. Cover baking sheet with parchment paper, and set aside.
2. Brush mushrooms clean, twist off their stems, and reserve. Spray mushroom caps lightly with olive oil, and arrange stem- side- up in prepared baking pan. Roast 15 minutes.
3. While mushrooms are roasting, finely chop reserved mushroom stems. Heat about 1 Tbs. olive oil in sauté pan over medium heat. Add chopped stems and shallot.
4. In mixing bowl, combine chèvre, walnuts, thyme, rosemary, and zest, if using. Add cooled stem and shallot mixture, and gently combine all ingredients. When mushrooms have softened in oven, remove and carefully drain any excess liquid.
5. Form generous balls out of goat cheese mixture, and press into the center of each mushroom cap, filling completely and mounding high. Return to oven, 12 minutes or until goat cheese has browned lightly on the top. Arrange on a decorative platter to serve.
Per mushroom: 45 cal; 3g prot; 3g total fat ( 1g sat fat); 3g carb; 5mg chol; 35mg sod; 1g fiber; 1g sugar