Duxbury con­tin­ues reign on Hing­ham

Boston Herald - - SPORTS - Twit­ter: @Bri­an_Fabry By BRIAN FABRY

Good or bad, luck wasn’t a part of this one.

With a driv­ing, side­ways rain from start to fin­ish, Dux

bury top­pled Hing­ham, 21-6 last night to re­main un­beaten and cap­ture the Divi­sion 3 South ti­tle.

The win was the Green Drag­ons’ 13th con­sec­u­tive over the Har­bor­men dat­ing back to 2007 as quar­ter­back John Roberts left noth­ing to doubt.

Roberts had a hand in all three Duxbury touch­downs with two pass­ing scores along with a 6-yard scam­per on the first se­ries of the game. The 6-foot-1 se­nior cap­tain fin­ished with 180 yards of to­tal of­fense with 89 yards on the ground and 91 yards with two touch­downs through the air.

“That’s our of­fense. Ev­ery­thing goes through John and our of­fense goes through the of­fen­sive line and John,” Duxbury coach Dave Maimaron . “The O-line played great.”

Duxbury (10-0) looked dom­i­nant in tak­ing a 14-0 lead as Roberts hit Ryan Pru­dente with a floater over the de­fen­sive line for an 8-yard score be­fore the half. But Hing­ham (7-2) was knock­ing on the doorstep on the next se­ries in­side two min­utes left in the first half. Cole Finney hauled in a 43-yard pass from Jack John­son, who re­turned un­der cen­ter for the first time since Week 2 af­ter a bro­ken col­lar­bone, to give the Har­bor­men fir­stand-goal from the 9 with 1:43 left.

But a bat­ted ball at the line of scrim­mage from Gar­rett Shack­ett along with ex­cel­lent de­fen­sive cov­er­age in the end zone for Duxbury led to a turnover on downs as the Hing­ham of­fense stalled.

“Jack was right on the money and he was able to do some stuff for us but (Duxbury is) a good team. We had to get back to the draw­ing board at half­time and make ad­just­ments but just too lit­tle too late in the end,” firstyear Hing­ham coach Jim Con­nor said. “It’s the lit­tle plays and all of a sud­den if we score be­fore half, we are in a 14-13 or 14-all game but we didn’ t get what we needed early to have the op­por­tu­nity at the end .”

Hing­ham ate up al­most eight min­utes of play with a 13-play drive on its sec­ond se­ries of the sec­ond half as Grady Har­ring­ton went in un­touched on a great fake hand­off counter sweep to get within one score, 14-6.

But Roberts an­swered again, this time with a clock­killing 12-play drive which ended with Will Prouty scor­ing on a five-yard wheel route pass for the fi­nal score of the game with 4:31 left in reg­u­la­tion.

Duxbury moves on to the state semi­fi­nals to face ei­ther Dan­vers or Tewks­bury.

“Our de­fen­sive coaches did an un­be­liev­able job all sea­son and this was just a cul­mi­na­tion of that and we just ex­e­cuted the game plan as the de­fense has been great all year,” Maimaron said. The kids be­lieve that some­one is just go­ing to make a play and you they ex­pect Will Prouty to make a play and get in the end zone. … Hope­fully they can do it for two more games.”

In other sec­tional cham­pi­onship ac­tion:

Chris­tos Ar­gy­ropou­los ran for 198 yards and four touch­downs as host Stone­ham (10-0) suc­cess­fully de­fended its Divi­sion 6 North ti­tle with a 49-14 win over Hamil­ton-Wen­ham . Seth Rus­sell added 115 yards and a score for the Spar­tans, who will face ei­ther Black­stone Mill ville

or Lit­tle to nina state semi­fi­nal next week.

In a matchup of un­de­feated teams, No. 1 Pope John

(9-0) earned a de­ci­sive 51-8 win over No. 2 Bos­ton English/New Mis­sion to win the Div. 8 North ti­tle at a drenched Everett Me­mo­rial Sta­dium.

The back­field tan­dem of John Smith How­ell (six car­ries, 98 yards, two touch­downs) and Greg Smith (five car­ries 72 yards three touch­downs) led the po­tent Pope John of­fense, as­sisted by a Tiger de­fense that forced five turnovers.

“I couldn’t be prouder of th­ese kids,” Tigers coach Paul Sobolewski said. “It’s sur­real. I knew we had a good group of kids. Never in a mil­lion years did I think we’d be where we are.”

How­ell started the Tigers’ scor­ing on the game’s open­ing drive, break­ing open a 51yard run down the side­line on third-and-1. Af­ter an Ea­gles punt, the Tigers would dou­ble their lead thanks to a Roshad Evans 41yard re­cep­tion from An­thony Mejia, their sec­ond touch­down on five to­tal plays.

From there, the Tigers de­fense would force three straight fum­bles re­sult­ing in two more from touch­downs from Smith and How­ell to end the first quar­ter at 28-0.

Jalen Echevar­ria ran for two scores as St. Mary’s (7-3) won its fourth straight sec­tional ti­tle, de­feat­ing Nashoba Tech, 39-14, in Div. 7 North.

Chris­tian Keel­ing rushed for 280 yards and three touch­downs as West Bridge­wa­ter (9-1) cap­tured the Div. 8 South ti­tle with a 47-28 vic­tory over Coyle & Cas­sidy.

Boys soc­cer

Jonny Paecht scored three times and Pa­trick Mejia added the other goal as No. 3

Hol­lis­ton (15-1-3) de­feated No.2 Seekonk, 4-1, in a Div. 3 South semi­fi­nal.

Matt Dzwil and Davin Ralph scored to give No. 2

Mas­conomet (18-2-2) de­feated third-seeded Con­cord-Carlisle, 2-1, in a Div. 2 North semi­fi­nal.

Girls soc­cer

De­laney Markham and Anna Carazza scored as No. 2 Winch­ester (20-1) ad­vanced to the Div. 2 North fi­nal with a 2-0 win over third-seeded Con­cord-Carlisle.

Dasa Hase and Jill Bowen each scored twice, while Maya Baker and Izzy Musco also tal­lied as No. 4 Manch­ester Es­sex (15-3-2) de­feated top-seeded Mys­tic Val­ley,

6-1, in a Div. 4 North semi­fi­nal.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from USA

© PressReader. All rights reserved.