Friendly fire killed sergeant in Calif. bar shoot­ing

Boston Herald - - THE TICKER -

THOU­SAND OAKS, Calif. — As ter­ri­fied peo­ple scram­bled out of bro­ken win­dows, scream­ing and bleed­ing and flee­ing a mass shoot­ing in­side a Cal­i­for­nia bar, Sgt. Ron Helus and a high­way pa­trol­man de­cided to try to stop the gun­man, run­ning in to­gether with as­sault-style ri­fles to what turned out to be an am­bush.

Al­most im­me­di­ately in­side the dark and smoky bar, the gun­man fired on the of­fi­cers, hit­ting Helus five times. They re­treated and re­turned fire.

What hap­pened next is ev­ery of­fi­cer’s worst night­mare: One of the pa­trol­man’s bul­lets hit his fel­low po­lice­man, pierc­ing his heart and killing him.

That Helus was killed by friendly fire emerged for the first time at a somber news con­fer­ence yesterday, ex­actly one month since 28-year-old Ian David Long at­tacked coun­try-mu­sic lovers at the Bor­der­line Bar and Grill in the Los An­ge­les sub­urb of Thou­sand Oaks, killing 12 and wound­ing 22 oth­ers.

Long, who wasn’t hit by ei­ther of­fi­cer’s gun­fire, fa­tally shot him­self af­ter the fire­fight.

Of­fi­cials didn’t have much else to up­date about the in­ves­ti­ga­tion yesterday, noth­ing more on the mo­tive or the ex­act time­line of events — just the news that broke all their hearts, most of all that of the pa­trol­man, who learned of the ter­ri­ble mis­take for the first time Thurs­day.

“I de­liv­ered the mes­sage to him ... He had no clue it was com­ing,” said L.D. Maples, chief of the Cal­i­for­nia High­way Patrol’s coastal divi­sion. “It sur­prised all of us. He’s dev­as­tated.”

The pa­trol­man was only iden­ti­fied as a nine-year vet­eran of the depart­ment. He is on leave.

“We’re try­ing to take care of him right now,” Maples said.

Helus was wear­ing a bul­let­proof vest when he was shot, but of­fi­cials did not say where the bul­let en­tered his body. His wounds from Long’s hand­gun were se­ri­ous, but po­ten­tially sur­viv­able, in­clud­ing two that hit Helus on the edge of his vest, said Christo­pher Young, the county’s chief med­i­cal ex­am­iner.

Helus, a 29-year vet­eran of the depart­ment, was close to re­tire­ment when he was killed. He is sur­vived by a wife and son.


SAD NEWS: A photo at a me­mo­rial for Sgt. Ron Helus is seen yesterday in Thou­sand Oaks, Calif. Au­thor­i­ties say Helus, killed in a mass shoot­ing at a South­ern Cal­i­for­nia bar in Novem­ber, was shot five times by the gun­man, but was fa­tally struck by a bul­let fired by a high­way pa­trol­man.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from USA

© PressReader. All rights reserved.