Work­ing in your area

Calhoun Times - - OBITUARIES -

its own way of do­ing things — es­pe­cially at the court­house.

Take the one we’re do­ing in Floyd for in­stance.

When we got the house un­der con­tract, we didn’t re­al­ize it was in Floyd County. The prop­erty has an Adairsville ad­dress. I made an of­fer in the front yard; they ac­cepted it and it wasn’t un­til I got back to the of­fice that I no­ticed it was in Floyd County.

Now, we’ve never done one in Floyd. But the court­house was in reach, so we went with.

This prop­erty is a dou­ble wide mo­bile home on a per­ma­nent foun­da­tion sit­ting on 1.5 acres. Our exit strat­egy is to flip this one, mainly be­cause it has an in­ground pool, which is a big no- no for me on rentals.

For the house to qual­ify for fi­nanc­ing when we sell it, we had to do a few things to make sure the trailer was at­tached to the land. The first thing we had to do was get a struc­tural en­gi­neer out to cer­tify that the foun­da­tion was up to code. This was the me­chan­i­cal part of the process. Next was the le­gal part.

Be­cause mo­bile homes have wheels and an odome­ter, they’re gov­erned by the DMV and have a state is­sued ti­tle. In or­der to at­tach a mo­bile home to the land legally, you have to “re­tire” its ti­tle. This process, once done, will trans­fer the mo­bile home on the war­rant deed at the time of sale.

I’m hav­ing is­sues get­ting that done on this one. The ti­tle to the mo­bile home is cur­rently in the pre­vi­ous owner’s name. I need to get it trans­ferred to our name be­fore we can move to the next step in the process of fil­ing the T- 234.

The T- 234 is state ap­pli­ca­tion for a cer­tifi­cate of per­ma­nent lo­ca­tion. Once the DMV ap­proves it, the cer­tifi­cate of per­ma­nent lo­ca­tion is is­sued in the ap­pli­cant’s name filed on the T- 234, the ti­tle will be re­tired, and the home will be fixed to the land. We can then pro­ceed to hav­ing it added to the deed.

My prob­lem is that the pre­vi­ous own­ers had filed homestead ex­emp­tion, which means the dou­ble wide and the land are taxed as one en­tity. Right now, Floyd is telling me they can­not up­date the mo­bile home ti­tle un­til they are sep­a­rated, which can’t hap­pen for two more months.

We will prob­a­bly have that prop­erty un­der con­tract be­fore then, so that doesn’t work.

Be­cause I’m not fa­mil­iar with that court­house, I’m not say­ing the right words to the right per­son to get them to un­der­stand that.

To­mor­row, I’ll go talk to Ms. Martha at the Gor­don County Court­house. I know her, and she knows her stuff. I’m hop­ing she will help me re­phrase my words so that the right per­son in Floyd will un­der­stand.

But at the end of the day, this will be an­other les­son learned about buy­ing things out­side of my area.

Joe and Ash­ley English buy houses and mo­bile homes in North­west Ge­or­gia. For more in­for­ma­tion or to ask a ques­tion, go to www. cash­flowwith­joe. com or call Joe at 678986- 6813.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from USA

© PressReader. All rights reserved.