`Beetlejuice,' `Tina Turner' musicals headed to South Bay
Broadway San Jose announces its new season
Broadway San Jose has loaded up on the hits and fan favorites for its 2022-23 season.
“My Fair Lady,” “Annie,” “Pretty Woman: The Musical,” “Beetlejuice” and “Tina — The Tina Turner Musical” are among the prized offerings on the blockbuster season lineup, which was announced Tuesday.
The season kicks off with the return of the one of the most popular musicals of all time — “Disney's the Lion King” — which runs Aug. 3-21.
“Over the past two years, we have been reminded how essential the arts are to our community,” says Broadway San Jose General Manager Gretchen Feyer. “It is with great pleasure that we welcome audiences back to San Jose's Center for the Performing Arts for an electrifying season packed with Broadway blockbusters, returning favorites, and other can't-miss hits.”
Beyond the regular season lineup, Broadway San Jose again is offering several popular addons — Including “Cats,” “Beautiful — The Carole King Musical” and “The Book of Mormon.”
Season subscriptions run $246-$704 for the basic sixshow package and are available at broadwaysanjose.com or by calling 866-395-2929.
Here's the lineup:
• “Disney's the Lion King”: winner of six Tony Awards, including best musical; Aug. 3-21
• “Cats,” (season add-on): The record-breaking musical by Andrew Lloyd Webber; Sept. 20-25
• “Beautiful — The Carole King Musical,” add-on: The show that got its premiere in San Francisco in 2013 offers such classic songs as “I Feel the Earth Move,” “One Fine Day,” “(You Make Me Feel Like) A Natural Woman” and “You've Got a Friend;” Oct. 28-30
• “The Book of Mormon” (add-on): Winner of nine Tony Awards, including best musical; Nov. 22-27
• “Annie”: The family classic that has charmed multiple generations of theater-goers; Jan. 10-15
• “My Fair Lady”: The Lincoln Center Theater production of the Lerner and Loewe classic; Feb. 21-26
• “Pretty Woman: The Musical”: The 2018 musical was adapted by Bryan Adams, Jim Vallance and others from the Hollywood blockbuster with Julia Roberts and Richard Gere; March 21-26, 2023
• “Beetlejuice”: Acclaimed 2018 Broadway show based on Tim Burton's film favorite; Aug. 1-6, 2023
• “Tina — The Tina Turner Musical”: The inspiring story of one of the greatest entertainers and recording artists of all time; Aug. 29-Sept. 3, 2023.