Asian Water Lily
Pattern on page 93
1. Form a 7 x 5-inch card from white cardstock.
2. Cut a 63/4 x 43/4-inch rectangle from dark pink cardstock; adhere to card. Cut slightly smaller rectangle from light pink cardstock; adhere. Cut slightly smaller rectangle from glitter white cardstock; adhere.
3. Copy husking diagram from page 93; place under wax paper on quilling work board.
4. Insert pin 1. Make a crease at the end of a strip of sage green quilling paper and place creased strip around pin 1. Secure in place with a second pin.
5. Insert pin 2; loop paper up and around left side of pin 2 and back down to pin 1; secure at bottom of loop with a dot of glue. Continue working shape in the same manner, looping paper up right side and over top of each next pin, and down and round each new pin at center following curved line as a guide (Photo 1). Glue inner folds in place as you go (Photo 2).
6. When finished, glue outside loops to a collar. Not all inner folds will meet in the middle (Photo 3). 7. Label each shade of pink quilling strips as follows: Light: 1 Light-medium: 2 Dark-medium: 3 Dark: 4
8. For lily center: Cut two #1 to 7/8 inch Cut two #1 to 1 inch Cut two #2 to 11/8 inches Cut two #3 to 11/4 inches Cut two #4 to 13/8 inches
Align and stack strips starting with the shortest strips in the middle and working out (lightest to darkest) for each set. Glue aligned stacked ends together with short strips in the center. Curl other end of stack inward with bone folder (as you would curl ribbon with scissors). Align opposite ends and glue.
9. For lily petals set 1 (make 2 sets): Cut #1 to 11/2 inches Cut #1 to 15/8 inches Cut #2 to 13/4 inches Cut #3 to 17/8 inches Cut #4 to 2 inches
For lily petals set 2 (make 2 sets): Cut #1 to 13/4 inches Cut #2 to 17/8 inches Cut #2 to 2 inches Cut #3 to 21/8 inches Cut #4 to 21/4 inches
For lily petals set 3 (make 2 sets): Cut #1 to 21/4 inches Cut #2 to 23/8 inches Cut #3 to 21/2 inches Cut #3 to 25/8 inches Cut #4 to 23/4 inches
Referring to photo, align and stack each set of strips starting with the longest one. Glue stacked ends together. Curl other end of stack inward with bone folder (as you would curl ribbon with scissors). Align opposite ends and glue.
10. Glue stacked end of each petal set in order (1–3) to bottom of lily center, working from center out on each side; use reverse tweezers to hold glued pieces in place until dry.
11. Punch dark pink cardstock with edge punch; adhere to card. Adhere lily pad and lily to card. •