Commissioner Meeting Notes
Regular Meeting September 11, 2014—DRAFT Call to Order Approval of Agenda As Presented
– 9:00 AM
– Motion to approve today’s meeting agenda as presented. Motion carried.
– Motion by Commissioner Allred to approve the minutes of the August 14, 2014 with a correction regarding Jan Porter Carrejo’s request for ICIP funding to complete the public restrooms at the new fair building. He wanted to clarify that the funds to complete the fair building restrooms are not part of the capital outlay funds. Second by Chairman Griffin with the correction. Motion carried, all voted aye.
Mrs. Snyder (County Manager) and Miss Lee (Clerk for the meeting) have made the following asterisked notation regarding the correction of the August 14th meeting after a replay of the recording. Correction is as follows:
Jan Porter Carrejo requested the County use ICIP funds for public restrooms at the new fair building. Chairman Griffin expressed this has been included. *( For clarification purposes it is noted the County has already been awarded a NM State Legislative appropriation for the purpose of finishing the work on the fair building. This work will include the public bathrooms within the fair building. We should receive the grant agreement later this fall.)
- Commissioner Allred conveyed that Anita Hand has not been appointed to fill the vacancy for Commissioner in District 1. He explained that if Miss Hand was appointed by the Governor at this time there could be a possibility that Miss Hand could lose her opportunity to run for the position in her second term.
Tom Janca from Green Lion
Approval of Minutes
gave the Commission a written report on the communications system update and stated that his company is working on getting things to an operating point in all areas. He added that Green Lion’s goal is to give more information regarding the public safety system to the Commission so they will know where the system stands.
Roosevelt County Resolution 2015-04 -
Commissioner Allred specified this is a resolution adopted by Roosevelt County in opposing the legalization of marijuana for recreational use within NM or Roosevelt County. He stated that he would like to see something similar done in Catron County and communicated his reasoning. Several people commented including former NM State Policeman Mike Shriver who was also against the legalization. All comments, including the audience’s reactions, were against the legalization for recreational use in NM and/or Catron County. Discussion followed on the possibility of implementing such a resolution in Catron County at a later date after more people have had an opportunity for input on the issue. No action taken.
– Mrs. Shipley gave the following report: Cash on hand $300.00, checking account balance as of 9/9/14 $5,161,853.26, Investments $2,250,000 for a total of $7,412,153.26. Motion by Commissioner Allred to approve the report. Motion carried, all voted aye.
Forest Service Report –
Given by Tom Janca in the public comments portion of the meeting.
Presentation – Overview of NMAC Self-Pools – Taylor Horst, Risk Management Director/Cynthia Stephen-
– Mr. Horst and Ms. Stephenson have been visiting with as many counties as possible and addressing the NMAC Insurance Pools. This is currently what they have been doing in Catron County. Mr. Horst reported that all pools are in the black. He also gave the financial status on individual pools noting they are all in good shape. Mr. Horst and Ms. Stephenson worked with County staff on 9/10/14 and worked through a few examples and also addressed using County facilities for private events. Mr. Taylor stated that it’s ok for branches of government agencies to use the facilities but private events aren’t covered and this opens the door to much larger liabilities. There is a third party insurance pool that citizens can obtain online for a reasonable rate. Commissioner Allred stated the Commission will try to address what can and can’t be done regarding these events in the near future.
Direction to Publish Ordinance 007-2014 – PredatorHuman Incident Protective Measures Revising Ordinance 001-2007
– Attorneys Nance and Riley commented that at this point this is considered a “Direction to Publish” and is not requiring any other action. Motion by Commission- er Allred to proceed. Motion carried.
Resolution 012-2015 - Certification of Tax Rates for the 2014 Tax Year
- It was affirmed that there is an increase in School District #1 tax rates due to the school bond. Motion by Chairman Griffin to approve resolution. Motion carried.
Resolution 013-2015 – Supporting 2015 Legislative Priorities of the NMAC
– Motion by Commissioner Allred to approve. Motion carried.
Consideration of Fire Chief Contract
– It was acknowledged this particular contract with Mr. Shriver combines the Emergency Manager position (which is currently held by Mr. Shriver) with the County Fire Chief position. Mrs. Snyder stated these positions probably won’t be combined permanently. Mr. Shriver had concerns about filling both positions for an extended term. The Emergency Manager is currently a half-time position. Mr. Shriver said he would do his best in serving in the dual capacity. The contract termination is set for 6/30/15 unless as otherwise allowed or provided under the agreement. Motion to approve the contract. Motion carried.