Ce­cil­ton The­atre

Cecil Whig - - HISTORY -

Do you have any in­for­ma­tion on a movie the­atre in Ce­cil­ton?

— Paige Womer

In the mid­dle third of the 20th cen­tury, many Ce­cil County towns had the­aters. One of those en­joy­able places was the “Ce­cil” in Ce­cil­ton, where nightly shows (ex­cept Sun­day) were of­fered in air-con­di­tioned com­fort on a beau­ti­ful, wide-screen. The cur­tain went up for the in­au­gu­ral screen­ing on Mon­day, Feb. 23. 1948, as Black Gold en­ter­tained an ex­cited au­di­ence from through­out the lower part of the county. This new en­ter­tain­ment venue was housed in the Ge­orge Bid­dle High School, which Mr. and Mrs. James D. Stradley had pur­chased for $3,100 from the Board of Ed­u­ca­tion. One-half of it was con­verted into a hard­ware store and the other half be­came the movie house.

— Mike Dixon

PHOTO COUR­TESY OF THE HSCC

This ad in the Feb. 14, 1948, Ce­cil Demo­crat news­pa­per promoted the open­ing of the Ce­cil­ton The­atre.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from USA

© PressReader. All rights reserved.