Chocolate Sweet Potato Pie
It’s as amazing as it sounds
¾ lb sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
2 large egg yolks
½ cup sugar, divided
1 cup whole milk
2 Tbsp cornstarch
4 oz cream cheese, softened
2 Tbsp dark rum (optional)
4 oz bittersweet chocolate, melted
1 (9-inch) graham cracker or chocolate pie crust
2 cups whipped cream
1. Place sweet potatoes in a small saucepan; cover with 1 inch cold water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 15 minutes or until tender. Drain. Transfer to a blender or food processor; puree.
2. In a heatproof bowl, whisk together egg yolks and ¼ cup sugar.
3. To make the pudding base, whisk together remaining ¼ cup sugar, milk and cornstarch in a small saucepan over medium-high. Cook 3–4 minutes, whisking constantly, until mixture bubbles and thickens. Gradually add half of milk mixture to yolk mixture, whisking constantly. Whisk yolk mixture into remaining milk mixture in pan. Cook over medium 2 minutes, whisking constantly, until pudding boils and becomes very thick. Remove from heat; stir in cream cheese and rum, if desired.
4. Place melted chocolate in a small bowl; stir in ¾ cup pudding base. Pour chocolate pudding into pie crust; chill 1 hour or until set.
5. Meanwhile, stir sweet potato puree into remaining pudding base; cover and chill until chocolate layer of pie is set. Gently spread sweet potato pudding layer on top of set chocolate layer. Cover loosely with plastic wrap; chill overnight. Top with whipped cream just before serving. Makes 1 (9-inch) pie.