Mercury found in Chattanooga home
A contractor water-proofing a basement in the 900 block of Oak Street discovered mercury trapped in a drain last weekend.
The toxic chemical can cause mercury poisoning. The two adults and child who live in the Fortwood neighborhood home were advised to stay away until the situation was cleared.
The Tennessee Department of Environment and Conservation, Environmental Protection Agency, and Hamilton County Health Department were called in to help. The EPA, which took the lead on the cleanup, did not know how the mercury ended up in the home or how long it had been there, according to EPA spokesman Jason McDonald.
The agency expected to have the cleanup completed by the end of the week. TDEC officials are unaware of any threats to public health associated with the event, according to spokeswoman Kim Schofinski.
Area residents concerned about mercury exposure can contact the Chattanooga-Hamilton County Health Department at 423-209-8000.