Charges against alleged Burge victim dismissed
POLICE Spent over 25 years in prison for 1983 murders
Another chapter in the alleged Jon Burge torture cases was closed Friday, when murder charges against a Chicago man who spent more than 25 years behind bars were dismissed.
The Illinois attorney general’s office dropped the charges after determining that David Fauntleroy was entitled to a new trial based on allegations that his confession to taking part in a double murder in 1983 was coerced by detectives working under Burge, the former Chicago Police commander who was indicted last year on charges of perjury and obstruction of justice, accused of lying when he denied under oath that torture took place.
Fauntleroy, 47, and James Andrews were convicted of the 1983 robbery and killings of Floyd Jenkins and Keith Lewis. The case against Andrews, who maintained that he was beaten by Burge detectives until he falsely confessed, was dropped in 2007.
Both men had been serving sentences of life in prison without parole.
Fauntleroy’s attorney, Douglas Harper, said Fauntleroy, who was arrested in April 1983, was released Friday from Stateville Correctional Center.
“It’s hard to find the words to describe how he feels,” Harper said. “He was 22 when he was arrested. He has spent more time in prison than he has spent free.”
Fauntleroy said he falsely confessed only after being told that Andrews had implicated him and after detectives took him in a police car to a wooded area, turned off the lights and pulled a gun on him. “He thought they were going to kill him,” Harper said.
He praised the attorney general’s office, saying, “They did the right thing.”
Cara Smith, deputy chief of staff for Illinois Attorney General Lisa Madigan, said, “The attorney general believes that this is the result that justice demanded in this case.”