9 taken to hos­pi­tal over car­bon monox­ide scare

Chicago Sun-Times - - TOP NEWS -

A fam­ily was not aware that car­bon monox­ide lev­els were ris­ing to near deadly lev­els when they called paramedics to their home Fri­day morn­ing in the East Garfield Park neigh­bor­hood on the West Side.

Paramedics were called about 8 a.m. for a per­son who fell in a home in the 600 block of North Sawyer Av­enue, ac­cord­ing to Chicago Fire Depart­ment Cmdr. Walter Schroeder.

When paramedics en­tered the build­ing, car­bon monox­ide de­tec­tors they car­ried alerted them to very high lev­els of the odor­less, col­or­less and deadly gas.

Nine peo­ple, in­clud­ing a child, were evac­u­ated and taken to hospi­tals, Schroeder said. They were in good con­di­tion.

Peo­ples’ Gas was on the scene Fri­day morn­ing to de­ter­mine the cause of the car­bon monox­ide.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from USA

© PressReader. All rights reserved.