Hamilton in self-isolation after charity event
Formula One champion Lewis Hamilton says he has been self-isolating for more than a week after meeting people who later tested positive for the new coronavirus.
Hamilton was at a charity event in London on March 4 also attended by actor Idris Elba and Sophie Grégoire Trudeau, the wife of the Canadian prime minister. Both were later found to have the virus.
In a message on social media, Hamilton says he’s shown “zero symptoms” but has been isolating himself from other people ever since March 13, when the Australian Grand Prix was called off.
Hamilton said that “I did speak to my doctor and double checked if I needed to take a test but, the truth is there is a limited amount of tests available and there are people who need it more than I do.”
Virus kills ex-Real Madrid president: Former Real Madrid president Lorenzo Sanz died Saturday from the new coronavirus, his family said. He was 76.
Sanz had been in intensive care since the beginning of the week while being treated for the virus.
Sanz presided over Madrid from 1995 until 2000, leading the club to two European titles, a Spanish league title and a Spanish Super Cup title.
Under Sanz, Madrid ended a 32-year drought in Europe by winning its seventh European trophy in 1998.
Madrid said Sanz was survived by his wife, Mari Luz, and five children.
More than 24,000 people have been infected with the virus in Spain, with nearly 1,400 deaths.
Another Senator tests positive: A second Ottawa Senators player has tested positive for COVID-19.
The player was part of the recent road trip that included NHL games in San Jose, Anaheim and Los Angeles.
The total number of people on the trip was 52, including players, staff, media, guests and flight crew. Of those on the trip, 44 have shown no symptoms, eight have been tested, and two positive results were received. The team is awaiting more results from tests given over the past three days.
Everyone on the California trip was instructed to self-quarantine on March 13.
Hockey Worlds nixed: The IIHF Council has confirmed that the 2020 Ice Hockey World Championship scheduled to take place in Zurich and Lausanne has been canceled because of the ongoing coronavirus outbreak.
The decision to cancel the tournament didn’t come as a surprise after IIHF President Rene Fasel acknowledged the likelihood of that happening following an IIHF executive committee conference call Tuesday.
Fasel cited numerous challenges facing officials, ranging from health directives in place limiting attendance to travel bans making it difficult for nations to send their teams. Another issue was players lacking practice time, with most of world’s hockey leagues having either indefinitely suspended or canceled their seasons.