Crispy Tofu Fries
with Miso Peanut Dipping Sauce
with Miso Peanut Dipping Sauce P. 21
1 12-oz pkg extra-firm organic tofu
3 tbsp white miso paste
2 tbsp natural peanut butter
2 tbsp fresh lime juice
2 tbsp raw honey
1∕8 tsp ground cayenne pepper
2 tbsp potato starch
½ tsp ground black pepper
2 tbsp olive oil
1. Blot tofu with paper towel. Place between 2 plates and weight down with a cookbook or can of beans for 1 hour.
2. Meanwhile, prepare dipping sauce: In a bowl, whisk together miso paste, peanut butter, lime juice, honey and cayenne with 2 tbsp water, or to desired consistency. Set aside.
3. Slice pressed tofu into ½-inch sticks, resembling fries. Mix potato starch and pepper together on a plate. Roll tofu sticks through potato starch mixture to evenly coat.
4. In a large cast iron skillet on medium-high, heat oil. Working in batches, cook tofu sticks until golden brown on all sides, flipping with tongs, 45 to 60 seconds per side. Transfer to a plate and keep warm while cooking remaining tofu.
5. Serve warm with dipping sauce.
PER SERVING (1∕4 of tofu fries and 2 tbsp sauce): Calories: 275, Total Fat: 16 g, Sat. Fat: 2 g, Monounsaturated Fat: 8 g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 5 g, Carbs: 23 g, Fiber: 2 g, Sugars: 12 g, Protein: 11 g, Sodium: 357 mg, Cholesterol: 0 mg