The ClassicMade-Clean Latke with Apple Topping
with Apple Topping
MAKES 10 LATKES.
3 yellow-fleshed potatoes, peeled and grated* (about 3 cups)
½ yellow onion, grated (about ¼ cup)
1 large egg, lightly beaten
2 tbsp whole-wheat or whole-grain spelt flour
2 cloves garlic, minced or crushed
1 tsp Dijon mustard
¼ tsp each sea salt and ground black pepper + additional black pepper for garnish
Pinch ground nutmeg 3 tbsp grape seed oil, divided
1/2 Honeycrisp apple, thinly cut into half-moons, optional 1 tbsp raw honey, optional
1. Preheat oven to 450°F. Place a large, rimmed baking sheet in the oven.
2. In a large bowl, combine potatoes and onion. Using a clean tea towel or several layers of paper towel, wring out liquid from vegetables. Repeat, squeezing out as much liquid as possible. Discard liquid.
3. Return vegetables to bowl; stir in egg, flour, garlic, mustard, salt, pepper and nutmeg.
4. Brush baking sheet with 2 tbsp oil; return to oven for 1 minute. Remove from oven. Spoon ¼ cup potato mixture per latke onto baking sheet and flatten using a spatula or bottom of a measuring cup. Brush with remaining 1 tbsp oil. Bake, turning once, until potatoes are golden and cooked through, about 35 minutes.
5. If making topping, place several slices of apple on top of each latke. Drizzle with honey and sprinkle black pepper over top.
PER SERVING (2 latkes): Calories: 188, Total Fat: 9 g, Sat. Fat: 1 g, Carbs: 25 g, Fiber: 3 g, Sugars: 2 g, Protein: 4 g, Sodium: 171 mg, Cholesterol: 37 mg
*TIP: To save time on prep, use a food processor equipped with a shredding attachment to grate the potatoes and onion.