Skillet Sweet Potato & Green Onion Latke with Ricotta & Dill
2 tbsp grape seed oil, divided
1 leek, diced (white and light green parts only)
2 sweet potatoes, peeled and grated (about 3 cups)
3 green onions, thinly sliced
1 large egg, lightly beaten
2 tbsp brown rice flour
¼ tsp each sea salt and ground black pepper
1/3 cup full-fat ricotta, optional
1 tbsp grated lemon zest, optional 2 tbsp chopped fresh dill, optional MAKES 1 9-INCH LATKE (8 SERVINGS).
1. Preheat oven to 375°F. In a 9-inch ovenproof cast-iron skillet on medium, heat 2 tsp oil. Add leek and cook, stirring often, until softened, about 3 minutes. Scrape into a large bowl and set aside.
2. Using a clean tea towel or several layers of paper towel, wring out liquid from sweet potato. Repeat, squeezing out as much liquid as possible. Discard liquid. Add sweet potato to leek; stir in green onion, egg, flour, salt and pepper.
3. In same skillet on medium-high, heat remaining 4 tsp oil. Add sweet potato mixture, patting down with a spatula to evenly flatten top. Cook, checking the bottom occasionally to ensure even cooking and a golden crust, 5 to 7 minutes.
4. Transfer skillet to center rack of oven and bake until sweet potato is cooked through, about 15 minutes. Move skillet to top rack and turn to broil for 3 to 5 minutes, until top is light golden. Using 2 large spatulas, transfer latke to a cutting board; slice into 8 wedges.
5. If making topping, top each wedge with ricotta, lemon zest and dill.
PER SERVING (1/8 of recipe): Calories: 91, Total Fat: 4 g, Sat. Fat: 1 g, Carbs: 12 g, Fiber: 2 g, Sugars: 3 g, Protein: 2 g, Sodium: 146 mg, Cholesterol: 24 mg