Prosciutto Wrapped Pork Loin with Cherry Cranberry Pan Sauce
SERVES 8. HANDS-ON TIME: 50 MINUTES. TOTAL TIME: 2 HOURS.*
Infusing pork loin with zesty garlic-sage rub and wrapping it in prosciutto makes for a showstopping entrée that’s super-easy to make.
1¾ cups low-sodium chicken broth, divided ½ cup unsweetened cranberry juice ½ cup frozen sour cherries 1 tbsp pure maple syrup 1¼ tsp arrowroot starch
1 3-lb boneless pork loin, fat trimmed to 1/8 inch thick 3 cloves garlic 1 tbsp fresh sage leaves, chopped (or 1 tsp ground sage) 2 tbsp olive oil, divided 1½ tsp ground black pepper ¾ tsp sea salt 1¾ oz sliced prosciutto
1. Up to 3 days in advance, make the sauce: In a small saucepan, combine ½ cup broth, juice, cherries and maple syrup and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 3 minutes. In a small bowl, mix arrowroot with 1 tbsp water; add to sauce and simmer until thickened, 1 minute. Cool; store in an airtight container in the fridge.
2. 1 day in advance, prep the pork: Place pork loin fat side up on a cutting board and poke 12 slits about ½ inch deep all over roast with the tip of a paring knife. Finely chop garlic and sage together and place in a small bowl. (If using ground sage, finely chop garlic, place in a
small bowl and stir in the ground sage.) Mix in 1 tbsp oil, pepper and salt. Stuff garlic mixture into slits and rub any remaining over outside of roast. Wrap pork completely with slices of prosciutto, overlapping slightly. Tie roast with butcher’s twine at ½-inch intervals. Wrap tightly in plastic and refrigerate.
3. 2 hours, 30 minutes before
serving, remove roast from refrigerator and let stand for 1 hour; preheat oven to 400°F. In a large ovenproof skillet on medium-high, heat remaining 1 tbsp oil. Add roast and brown on all sides, about 4 minutes total. Remove from heat, add remaining 1¼ cups broth to pan and transfer to oven. Roast until an instantread thermometer registers 145°F in center, about 1 hour. Transfer to a serving platter, cover loosely with foil and let rest for 15 to 30 minutes.
4. 30 minutes before serving, finish sauce: Add sauce to pan used to roast pork. Bring to a simmer on medium and cook, scraping up browned bits from bottom of pan, until heated through and bubbly.
5. Cut roast into 8 slices and serve with sauce.
PER SERVING (1 slice pork and
1/8 of sauce): Calories: 349, Total Fat: 18 g, Sat. Fat: 5 g, Monounsaturated Fat: 9 g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 2 g, Carbs: 6 g, Fiber: 0 g, Sugars: 4 g, Protein: 40 g, Sodium: 417 mg, Cholesterol: 100 mg