Roasted Buffalo Cauliflower
with Herby Avocado Dip
SERVES 6. HANDS-ON TIME: 25 MINUTES. TOTAL TIME: 45 MINUTES.
An almond flour coating gives these spicy bites a crispy exterior without the need for bread crumbs. Paired with a dip made of heart-healthy fats, you have a satiating side. Serve it hot right from the oven for best texture.
2 tbsp olive oil 2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 avocado, peeled, pitted and chopped 2 tbsp snipped chives 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice 1 tbsp chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley 1½ tsp dried dill ½ tsp each dried oregano and mustard powder 3 tbsp avocado oil mayonnaise ¼ tsp sea salt 1/8 tsp ground black pepper
1 cup almond flour 1 tsp garlic powder
½ tsp each dried oregano and sea salt ¼ tsp each smoked paprika and ground black pepper 1 large egg 1 large head cauliflower, stems removed, cut into florets ½ cup hot sauce
(TRY: Frank’s Red Hot) 3 tbsp ghee 2 tbsp chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley, optional
1. Prepare dip: To a small, unheated skillet, add oil and garlic. Place on low heat, until oil is sizzling for 30 seconds. Transfer mixture to a high-speed blender or small food processor. Add avocado, chives, vinegar, lemon juice, parsley, dill, oregano and mustard powder; process until smooth. Transfer to a medium bowl and fold in mayonnaise. (TIP: Thin with water, 1 tsp at a time, if mixture is too thick.) Season with salt and pepper. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
2. Prepare cauliflower: Preheat oven to 425ºF. Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper. In a small bowl, combine flour, garlic powder, oregano, salt, paprika and pepper. In a separate large bowl, beat egg. Add cauliflower florets to egg bowl and toss to coat. Sprinkle flour mixture onto cauliflower; toss to coat.
3. Divide cauliflower between baking sheets; spreading evenly. Mist with cooking spray. Roast for 20 minutes, stirring once or twice.
4. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine hot sauce and ghee; warm on low heat, whisking, until ghee is melted. When cauliflower is done, divide sauce between baking sheets, drizzling on cauliflower, taking care not to let breading fall off.
5. Switch oven to broil on high. Broil 1 to 2 minutes per sheet, until spots not covered with sauce are golden. Sprinkle with parsley (if using). Serve with dip on the side.
PER SERVING (1/6 of recipe): Calories: 567, Total Fat: 49 g, Sat. Fat: 12 g, Monounsaturated Fat: 29 g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 7 g, Carbs: 24 g, Fiber: 12 g, Sugars: 6 g, Protein: 13 g, Sodium: 1519 mg, Cholesterol: 88 mg