with Mussels & Chorizo
SERVES 4. HANDS-ON TIME: 45 MINUTES. TOTAL TIME: 1 HOUR, 5 MINUTES.
Squash stands in for rice in this remake of the traditional Spanish dish. You can use butternut squash or yellow squash — we recommend spiralizing the veg first, then cutting or pulsing in the food processor to get rice-size pieces. If using yellow squash, cutting it is a safer bet since the veg is so delicate. Check the labels when you are purchasing chorizo as some brands contain sugar.
12 oz yellow squash (or 18 oz peeled, seeded butternut squash, neck only)
¼ cup avocado oil, divided
1 small yellow onion, diced
1 small red bell pepper, diced
3/4 tsp sea salt, divided 6
cloves garlic, minced
1 tbsp each paprika and dried oregano
½ tsp red pepper flakes
Pinch saffron threads
1 14-oz BPA-free can diced tomatoes (preferably fire-roasted)
11/2 lb mussels, scrubbed and debearded
2–3 links chorizo, sliced
¼ tsp ground black pepper
¼ cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley, for garnish lemon wedges, optional
1. Secure squash into a spiral maker and turn crank to create noodles, according to manufacturer’s directions. Working in batches, place on a cutting board and chop into “rice.” Transfer to a large bowl.
2. In a large pot on medium, heat 2 tbsp oil. Add onion and bell pepper, season with ¼ tsp salt and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 6 minutes. Add garlic, paprika, oregano, pepper flakes and saffron; sauté 1 minute. Pour in tomatoes and 1 cup water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring once or twice.
3. Add mussels to pot, cover, increase heat to medium; cook for 5 minutes, shaking pot occasionally. Uncover and transfer any mussels that have opened to a bowl. Cover and continue to cook, shaking occasionally for about 3 minutes longer, checking every 30 seconds for mussels that have opened and transfer to bowl. Discard any mussels that don’t open. Tent mussels with foil. Reduce heat to low setting; cover.
4. In a large skillet on medium-high, heat remaining 2 tbsp oil. Add chorizo; cook, turning once or twice, until lightly browned, 5 to 7 minutes. Transfer to a plate. Reduce heat to medium, stir in squash rice and cook, stirring, until tender, 3 to 4 minutes. (If using butternut squash rice, cook 7 to 8 minutes, adding 2 tbsp water to prevent sticking.) Season with remaining ½ tsp salt and black pepper.
5. Preheat broiler to high. Using a slotted spoon, transfer tomato mixture from mussels cooking liquid to skillet with rice; fold together to combine. Broil until mixture is golden on top and excess liquid has cooked off, 4 to 5 minutes, watching to prevent burning. Top with mussels and chorizo. Sprinkle with parsley and serve with lemon wedges (if using).
PER SERVING (1/4 of recipe): Calories: 477, Total Fat: 33 g, Sat. Fat: 7 g, Monounsaturated Fat: 19 g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 5 g, Carbs: 21 g, Fiber: 5 g, Sugars: 8 g, Protein: 27 g, Sodium: 991 mg, Cholesterol: 62 mg