Persian-Style Spinach & Herb Sauté with Eggs
SERVES 4. HANDS-ON TIME: 30 MINUTES. TOTAL TIME: 30 MINUTES.
Awaken your senses with this aromatic breakfast of fresh parsley, cilantro and dill in a spinach sauté with softly cooked eggs nestled inside. A savory yogurt-saffron topping finishes this delightfully easy dish. Serve with a bowl of walnuts or pomegranates to round out your breakfast.
1/8 tsp saffron threads 2 tbsp boiling water 1/2 bunch fresh flat-leaf parsley 1/2 bunch fresh cilantro 1/2 small bunch fresh dill 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil 1 yellow onion, thinly sliced 5 cloves garlic, finely chopped 1¼ tsp ground turmeric 1/2 tsp sea salt, divided 3 cups frozen spinach 1/2 tsp ground black pepper 1/2 cup water 3 tbsp fresh lime juice 4 eggs 2/3 cup full-fat plain yogurt or Greek yogurt 1/2 tsp sumac (TIP: While not a true substitute for citrusy sumac, crushed red pepper flakes and sweet paprika can be used in its place if you can’t find it.)
1. To a small, heat-proof bowl, add saffron. Using the back of a small spoon, crush threads until they break apart slightly. Pour boiling water over top to let saffron bloom; set aside to cool.
2. Roughly tear the parsley, cilantro and dill, including tender stems.
3. To an extra-large skillet on medium, heat oil. Add onion and cook, stirring, until very brown with a few crispy pieces, 6 to 8 minutes. Add garlic, turmeric and one-half of salt; cook, stirring, until fragrant, 30 seconds.
4. Add spinach, fresh herbs, remaining one-half of salt, all of pepper and water. Cook, stirring, until spinach thaws and herbs are wilted and aromatic, about 5 minutes. Add lime juice and cook 30 seconds.
5. Using a large spoon, create
4 wells in spinach mixture. Crack an egg into each well and cook, undisturbed, 1 to 2 minutes. Gently stir through eggs to break up the yolks. Spoon yogurt over spinach followed by saffron liquid over top.
6. Remove from heat while eggs are still very soft. Sprinkle sumac over top, and garnish with any leftover herbs.
PER SERVING (¼ of recipe): Calories: 222, Total Fat: 14 g, Sat. Fat: 4 g, Monounsaturated Fat: 8 g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 2 g, Carbs: 14 g, Fiber: 5 g, Sugars: 4 g, Protein: 14 g, Sodium: 438 mg, Cholesterol: 191 mg