Lamb & Apricot Skewers with Cucumber Mint Yogurt
SERVES 4. HANDS-ON TIME: 25 MINUTES. TOTAL TIME: 30 MINUTES.
The flavors in these skewers are inspired by North African cuisine, specifically Moroccan tagines, where sweet and savory notes are often beautifully fused. Here, we pair them with a simple yogurt salad that is common in the Levantine region and is especially cooling on hot summer days.
2 tbsp Balkan yogurt or whole-milk regular yogurt 1 tsp each ground cumin and smoked paprika ½ tsp sea salt 1 lb deboned lamb shoulder, cut into 2-inch cubes 6–8 apricots, halved (or use ¾ cup dried apricots) 3 large red onions, cut into 2-inch pieces (or 6–8 shallots, halved)
YOGURT ¾ cup Balkan yogurt or whole-milk regular yogurt
6 Persian cucumbers, finely chopped or grated 2 tbsp fresh chopped mint, divided ¼ tsp sea salt
6–8 metal or wooden skewers (soaked if using wooden)
1. Preheat a greased grill to medium-high.
2. Prepare marinade: In a large bowl, combine yogurt, cumin, paprika, and salt. Add lamb and stir to coat. (TIP: If you have more time, you can marinate lamb in yogurt mixture in the refrigerator up to 4 hours.)
3. To each skewer, add 2 pieces of lamb followed by 1 apricot half and then 1 onion piece; repeat. Skewer all remaining ingredients in the same manner.
4. Add skewers to grill and cook for 3 to 5 minutes per side, until cooked through and browned.
5. Meanwhile, prepare yogurt salad: In a small bowl, combine yogurt, cucumbers, one-half of mint and salt. Garnish with remaining onehalf of mint. Serve with skewers.
PER SERVING (¼ of recipe): Calories: 275, Total Fat: 10 g, Sat. Fat: 4 g, Monounsaturated Fat: 3 g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 1 g, Carbs: 25 g, Fiber: 4 g, Sugars: 14 g, Protein: 24 g, Sodium: 451 mg, Cholesterol: 71 mg