with Pesto & Quinoa-Crusted Onion Rings
SERVES 4. HANDS-ON TIME: 30 MINUTES. TOTAL TIME: 30 MINUTES.
Slathered in a flavorful basil pesto, these balsamic-marinated mushroom burgers are served with crispy quinoa-crusted onion rings.
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
1/8 tsp each sea salt and ground black pepper
4 portobello mushrooms, stems removed whole-grain hamburger buns, sliced tomatoes and leafy lettuce, for serving
11/2 cups whole-wheat flour, divided
1/4 tsp sea salt
3/4 cup plain unsweetened almond milk 2 cups puffed quinoa 1 large sweet white onion, cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices and separated into rings PESTO 2 cups packed fresh basil leaves 1/3 cup walnuts 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil 2 tbsp water sea salt and ground black pepper, to taste
1. Arrange oven racks in top and bottom thirds of oven; preheat to 425ºF. Prepare portobellos: In a shallow baking dish, combine vinegar, oil, salt and pepper; add mushrooms, smooth side up. Set aside.
2. Meanwhile, make onion rings: Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. In a large bowl, whisk together one-half of the flour with salt; slowly whisk in milk until batter is smooth. To a separate medium bowl, add puffed quinoa. To a separate large bowl, add remaining one-half of flour. Dredge each onion ring in flour, fully coating. One at a time, dip flour-coated onions into milk batter. Then dip each onion ring into puffed quinoa, pressing if necessary to help mixture stick. Transfer to baking sheet; repeat with remaining onion rings. 3. Mist rings well with cooking spray. Bake on top rack for 18 to 20 minutes, until browned and crisp.
4. Place mushrooms on a parchment-lined baking sheet and bake on lower rack for 16 to 18 minutes, turning once, until tender and lightly browned. Brush with any leftover marinade while cooking for extra flavor. (NOTE: Mushrooms can also be grilled. Brush grilling grates with oil before adding mushrooms, basting with leftover marinade.)
5. Meanwhile, prepare pesto:
To a food processor, add basil, walnuts, oil and water. Pulse until coarsely chopped, scraping down sides of bowl as necessary, then process until smooth. Season with salt and pepper.
6. Serve mushrooms in buns topped with pesto, onion rings and additional toppings, if desired. Serve with extra onion rings on the side.
(¼ of recipe): Calories: 790, Total Fat: 37 g, Sat. Fat: 5 g, Monounsaturated Fat: 22 g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 9 g, Carbs: 96 g, Fiber: 14 g, Sugars: 15 g, Protein: 23 g, Sodium: 538 mg, Cholesterol: 0 mg