SERVES with Cashew Basil Sauce
4. HANDS-ON TIME: 15 MINUTES. TOTAL TIME: 30 MINUTES.
Crispy-chewy flatbreads made from chickpea flour are a popular street food in southern France, where it’s known as socca. Our version is topped with a creamy cashew sauce and a bevvy of veggies. Remember to soak the cashews ahead of time (about 30 minutes) before getting started on this recipe.
11/2 cups chickpea flour
11/4 cups water
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 tsp sea salt
11/4 cups raw cashews, soaked in hot water for 30 minutes, drained 1 cup fresh basil 1/2 cup water 1/4 cup nutritional yeast 1 lemon, juiced 2 cloves garlic, peeled 1/2 tsp sea salt
8 oz mushrooms, roughly chopped 1 red bell pepper, cut into thin strips 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil 1/4 tsp each sea salt and ground black pepper 1/2 cup fresh basil, for garnish
1. Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and mist with cooking spray.
2. Prepare flatbread: In a large bowl, mix chickpea flour and water until well combined. Add garlic and salt. (NOTE: Batter may appear wet but will firm up as it bakes.)
3. Pour batter onto prepared baking sheet; use a spatula to spread into a 14 x 9-inch rectangle. Bake 15 minutes, or until edges begin to brown. Set aside.
4. Meanwhile, make sauce: To a high-speed blender or food processor, add all ingredients. Blend on high until smooth and creamy, adding more water if needed for a thinner consistency.
5. In a large bowl, toss together mushrooms, bell peppers, oil, salt and pepper. Spread sauce evenly over flatbread then top with veggies.
6. Return flatbread to oven and bake, 8 to 10 minutes, or until vegetables begin to soften. Sprinkle with basil.
PER SERVING (¼ of recipe): Calories: 415, Total Fat: 22 g, Sat. Fat: 4 g, Monounsaturated Fat: 12 g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 4 g, Carbs: 39 g, Fiber: 7 g, Sugars: 8.5 g, Protein: 20 g, Sodium: 642 mg, Cholesterol: 0 mg