Indian Beef Short Ribs Nihari
2 tbsp safflower oil
2 lb boneless beef short ribs, cut into 4-inch pieces 3 white onions, diced 1½ tbsp minced garlic 1½ tbsp minced ginger 2 tbsp cumin seeds 1 3-inch stick cinnamon 1 tbsp black peppercorns, crushed 1 tsp sea salt 1 plum tomato, diced 8 cups low-sodium beef stock ½ tsp red pepper flakes ¼ cup cilantro stems, chopped ¼ cup coconut or date sugar
3 tbsp safflower oil
1½ tbsp minced garlic
1½ tbsp minced ginger
1 tbsp each cumin seeds and fennel seeds 2 tbsp garam masala 2 tbsp deggi mirch powder
(TIP: Look for this chile blend in specialty stores, or use 1 tsp ground cayenne.) 2 tbsp biryani masala
(TRY: Shan Biryani Mix) 1 tbsp unsalted tomato paste 1 cup low-sodium beef stock 2 tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped 1. Prepare short ribs: Preheat oven to 350°F. In a medium oven-safe pot, heat oil on medium. Sear ribs on all sides until golden, 5 to 7 minutes. Transfer to a plate. Drain fat.
2. To same pot on medium, add onion, garlic, ginger, cumin, cinnamon, peppercorns and salt. Sauté until onions are golden, 8 to 10 minutes. Add tomatoes; sauté until broken down, 6 to 8 minutes.
3. Add stock, pepper flakes and cilantro stems and bring to a simmer. Add ribs and cover. Transfer to oven and cook for 3 to 3.5 hours. (TIP: To test for doneness, pull beef with tongs; if meat comes off easily, beef is braised perfectly.) Remove from liquid and transfer to a plate. Stir in sugar to remaining mixture in pot and set aside to cool. 4. In a high-speed blender or using an immersion blender, blend mixture from pot until smooth.
5. Prepare nihari curry: In a large pot on medium, heat oil. Add garlic, ginger, cumin and fennel and sauté until golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes. Add garam masala, deggi mirch and biryani masala and toast, 1 to 2 minutes. Add tomato paste and cook for 1 minute.
6. Add blended mixture and mix well, stirring any browned bits from the bottom of pot. Stir in stock.
7. Add short ribs back in and simmer on low for 15 minutes. Adjust seasoning to taste. Transfer to a serving bowl. Garnish with cilantro. Serve with naan or basmati rice.
PER SERVING (⅛ of recipe): Calories: 530, Total Fat: 39 g, Sat. Fat: 14 g, Monounsaturated Fat: 16 g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 6 g, Carbs: 21 g, Fiber: 3 g, Sugars: 10 g, Protein: 24 g, Sodium: 998 mg, Cholesterol: 72 mg