Dreamy Salted Caramel Apple Pie
SERVES 10. HANDS-ON TIME: 40 MINUTES. TOTAL TIME: 1 HOURS, 45 MINUTES.* *PLUS CHILLING TIME.
Turn up the dial up on your classic apple pie with a decadent homemade caramel sauce that’s baked into the filling. We’re showing you how to make the ultimate flaky whole-grain pastry and how to create a stunning lattice top.
2 cups whole-wheat flour 1 cup whole-wheat pastry flour ½ tsp sea salt 1¼ cups cold organic unsalted butter 6 tbsp ice water 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
⅔ cup coconut sugar
2 tbsp water
¼ cup cold organic unsalted butter, cubed 3 tbsp 35% cream 1 tsp pure vanilla extract ½ tsp sea salt
7–8 Granny Smith apples, peeled and sliced ¼ inch thick 2 tbsp coconut sugar 2 tbsp arrowroot starch 2 tsp ground cinnamon 1 large egg
1. Prepare dough: In a medium bowl, combine flours and salt. Grate butter over flour and mix with a fork to coat butter with flour. Stir in ice water and vinegar. Press dough into itself until it forms a shaggy ball.
2. On a floured surface, roll dough into a 10 x 15-inch rectangle. Fold sides to the center. Fold in half again, bringing the bottom up to create a thick block. Divide in half with a sharp knife. Gently roll each into a disk. Wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour, and up to 2 days.
3. Prepare caramel: In a medium saucepan on medium-high, heat sugar and water. Cook, stirring, for 2 to 3 minutes, until darkening and bubbling. Remove from heat and whisk in butter. Stir in cream, vanilla and salt. Transfer to a heat-proof glass cup; cool in the refrigerator.
4. Prepare filling: To a large bowl, add apples, sugar, arrowroot and cinnamon. Toss and set aside.
5. Roll out 1 dough disk on a floured surface. Turn every few rolls until you have a 12-inch circle. Transfer to a 9-inch pie dish. Leave a ¼-inch overhang on rim and trim any excess with a paring knife. Fill shell with one-half of the apples and drizzle with one-half of the caramel sauce. Top with remaining apples and caramel sauce.
6. Add any pastry scraps to second disk of dough and roll out to a 12-inch circle. With a sharp knife, cut into even strips, 1 inch wide. Arrange in a lattice pattern over filling as shown in our step-by-step guide below to form top crust.
7. Use your fingers to fold edges of dough underneath itself so that it creates a thicker, ¼-inch border that rests on the lip of the dish. To crimp the edges, use your thumb and index finger of one hand to push the inner edge out while pinching the outer edge in with the index finger of the other hand. Repeat around edge of the pie. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
8. Preheat oven to 400°F and arrange rack in lower third of oven. Whisk egg with a splash of water and brush over the crust. Bake for 20 minutes. Reduce heat to 375°F. Cover loosely with foil. Return to oven on middle rack and continue baking for 45 minutes, until apples are tender and caramel is bubbling over. Set aside to cool. Serve warm or at room temperature.
PER SERVING (1/10 of recipe): Calories: 549, Total Fat: 31 g, Sat. Fat: 19 g, Monounsaturated Fat: 9 g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 2 g, Carbs: 68 g, Fiber: 5 g, Sugars: 32 g, Protein: 6 g, Sodium: 213 mg, Cholesterol: 97 mg
MAKE AHEAD: Make pie up to 1 day in advance. You can also make and freeze the dough up to 3 months in advance; simply thaw overnight in the refrigerator before use.