SERVES 4. HANDS-ON TIME: 30 MINUTES. TOTAL TIME: 1 HOUR, 20 MINUTES.
Beef braciole (pronounced brah-jole' in the US and brah-cho'-leh in Italy) is a classic Neapolitan recipe that’s made quicker by braising the beef in marinara in the Instant Pot. Buy thinly sliced top round from your butcher to save time. Serve with soft polenta, whole-grain pasta or whipped cauliflower to soak up all the delicious sauce. Garnish with additional basil and Parmesan cheese.
4 slices whole-grain bread, torn into pieces
(TRY: Food For Life Ezekiel 4:9 Sprouted Whole Grain Bread)
1/4 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese
3 tbsp chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
3 tbsp fresh chopped basil
3/4 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp ground black pepper 1 large egg, whisked 2 lb top round beef, sliced into 8
1/4-inch-thick pieces (or ask your butcher for scallopine)
8 thin slices prosciutto
1/4 tsp sea salt
2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil ½ cup dry red wine 1 24-oz jar marinara sauce ¼ cup water
1. In a food processor, pulse bread, cheese, parsley, basil, garlic, and pepper until finely ground. Pour into a bowl and add egg; stir to combine. Set aside. Pound meat slices with flat side of a meat mallet until each slice is an even ¼ inch thick. (Skip this step if using scallopine.)
2. On a clean work surface, arrange beef slices with short end facing you and top each with 1 slice prosciutto. Divide bread crumb mixture over prosciutto slices and press down gently to adhere. Starting with ends closest to you, roll up slices of meat tightly. Secure seams with toothpicks. (Place toothpicks parallel to the seam, so they won’t poke out the sides while the meat is browning.) Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
WHEN READY TO EAT:
3. Season beef rolls all over with salt. Select Sauté on the Instant Pot and adjust to High; heat oil. Working in 2 batches, add meat rolls and cook until browned all over, 4 minutes per batch. Place on a plate.
4. To pot, add wine and simmer for 1 minute, scraping up browned bits from bottom of pot. Press Cancel. Return beef rolls to pot, stacking if necessary. Pour marinara and water over beef rolls but don’t stir. Lock on the lid, press Pressure and adjust to More/High for 35 minutes.
5. Let pressure release naturally for 15 minutes and then quick-release any remaining pressure. Transfer beef rolls to a large serving bowl; remove and discard toothpicks. Cover to keep warm. Select Sauté and adjust to High heat. Simmer sauce for 5 minutes, until slightly reduced, skimming off any fat that has risen to the top. Uncover beef rolls and pour sauce over top.
PER SERVING (1/4 of recipe):
Calories: 293, Total Fat: 11 g, Sat. Fat: 3 g, Monounsaturated Fat: 5 g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 1 g, Carbs: 15 g, Fiber: 2 g, Sugars: 4 g, Protein: 32 g, Sodium: 789 mg, Cholesterol: 94 mg