Loaded Chipotle Chicken Tostadas
SERVES 4. HANDS-ON TIME: 20 MINUTES. TOTAL TIME: 1 HOUR, 15 MINUTES.
Crispy baked tortillas serve as a crunchy raft for homemade refried beans, zesty chipotle marinated chicken, peppers, lettuce and avocado. The spiced bean mixture is delicious and worth making more of – you can double the recipe and stash them in the freezer for future nacho toppings.
1 cup dried pinto beans, picked over for stones and rinsed 1 tsp ground cumin 1 clove garlic 3/4 tsp sea salt 1 bay leaf
1 small yellow onion
1 each green and red bell pepper 3 cloves garlic 2 tbsp chopped canned chipotle in adobo 2 tbsp ground cumin 1 tbsp paprika 1 tsp dried oregano ½ tsp sea salt 1½ lb boneless, skinless chicken thighs 8 6-inch corn tortillas 1½ tbsp extra-virgin olive oil 3 cups chopped romaine lettuce 3/4 cup pico de gallo avocadoAY: 1 small
1. To the Instant Pot, add all ingredients for beans along with 2½ cups water. Lock on lid, select Pressure and adjust to More/ High for 45 minutes. Quick-release pressure. Drain beans, reserving cooking liquid. Mash with a potato masher, adding just enough reserved liquid to make the beans smooth and spreadable. Cover and refrigerate.
2. Prep the tostadas: Slice the onion, bell peppers and garlic; store in an airtight container.
3. Chop chipotle peppers and place in a large nonreactive container. Add cumin, paprika, oregano and salt. Add 2 tbsp water and stir to make a thick paste. Add chicken to spice mixture and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate.
WHEN READY TO EAT:
4. Preheat oven to 425°F. Brush tortillas with oil. Bake until crisp and golden, flipping tortillas once, 12 minutes.
5. Meanwhile, cook chicken: To Instant Pot, add onion, peppers and sliced garlic. Place marinated chicken and marinade on top. Add ¼ cup cold water. Lock on lid, select Pressure cook function and adjust to More/High pressure for 12 minutes. Quick-release pressure.
6. Meanwhile, reheat refried beans on the stove in a small saucepan over medium-low, or microwave until heated through, about 2 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer chicken and vegetables to a bowl, shredding chicken. Discard cooking liquid.
7. Spread refried beans on baked tortillas. Mound chicken mixture on top, dividing evenly. Top with lettuce and pico de gallo. Slice avocado and place over top.
PER SERVING (1/4 of recipe): Calories: 625, Total Fat: 26 g, Sat. Fat: 5 g, Monounsaturated Fat: 13 g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 5 g, Carbs: 56 g, Fiber: 18 g, Sugars: 8 g, Protein: 44 g, Sodium: 699 mg, Cholesterol: 113 mg