Ginger Garlic Tofu with Noodles
SERVES 4. HANDS-ON TIME: 30 MINUTES. TOTAL TIME: 45 MINUTES.
Cooking tofu along with a delicious Asian-inspired sauce and whole-wheat noodles in the Instant Pot means you have a one-pot, takeout-style meal at your fingertips at the end of the week, just when you need it the most. You can substitute chicken breast or pork tenderloin strips for the tofu, if you like.
4 dried shiitake mushrooms (about 1/2 oz)
1 cup water
1 15-oz pkg organic sprouted firm tofu
1 small yellow onion
2½ cups snow peas
2 green onions
2 cups broccoli, cut into florets
3 cloves garlic, chopped
1 tbsp ginger, minced
1¼ cups low-sodium vegetable or chicken broth
2 tbsp reduced-sodium tamari or soy sauce
2 tbsp hoisin sauce
2 tsp rice vinegar (TRY: Marukan Organic Rice Vinegar)
1 tsp dark sesame oil
1–2 tsp sriracha
8 oz whole-wheat spaghetti, broken in half
1. To a small bowl or container, add dried mushrooms and water; cover. Wrap tofu in 2 layers of paper towels and place in a bowl; place something heavy on top of the tofu (a jar of pickles or the like).
2. Slice yellow onion and carrots and place in a container, keeping them in separate piles. Snap stem ends off the snow peas and chop green onions; place in a covered container. Place broccoli florets in a covered container. Chop garlic and ginger and place in an airtight container. In a jar or container, combine broth, tamari, hoisin, vinegar, sesame oil and sriracha. Store everything in the refrigerator.
WHEN READY TO EAT:
3. Pour mushroom soaking liquid into broth mixture. Thinly slice mushroom caps, discarding stems. Cut tofu into bite-size pieces.
4. Mist bottom of Instant Pot with cooking spray, select Sauté and adjust to High. Add yellow onions and cook, stirring frequently, until they begin to brown, 3 minutes. Add garlic and ginger and cook until fragrant, 30 seconds. Press Cancel.
5. Add broth mixture and scrape up browned bits from bottom of pot. Add tofu, mushrooms and carrots. Scatter spaghetti over top and press down gently. Lock on lid, select Pressure and adjust to More/High pressure for 4 minutes. When cooking time is up, let pressure release naturally for 1 minute, and then quick-release remaining pressure.
6. Add broccoli and stir, breaking up any clumps of noodles. Place lid back on and let steam for 4 minutes. Add snow peas and green onions and cover pot. Let stand 1 minute, until snow peas are tender.
PER SERVING (1/4 of recipe):
Calories: 469, Total Fat: 11 g, Sat. Fat: 2 g, Monounsaturated Fat: 3 g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 5 g, Carbs: 68 g, Fiber: 11 g, Sugars: 9 g, Protein: 29.5 g, Sodium: 621 mg, Cholesterol: 0 mg