Sesame Almond– Smothered Tofu Cups
SERVES 4. HANDS-ON TIME: 25 MINUTES. TOTAL TIME: 25 MINUTES.
An addictive sesame-almond sauce adds zip to crispy fried tofu and a medley of crunchy veggies, served up in lettuce leaves for an easy handheld dinner or lunch.
¼ cup coconut aminos ¼ cup rice vinegar ¼ cup raw almond butter 2 tsp toasted sesame oil
14 oz organic extra-firm tofu (preferably sprouted)
2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil, divided
5 oz zucchini, sliced into matchsticks
5 oz shiitake mushrooms, diced
1 red bell pepper, diced
1 clove garlic, minced
1 8-oz can water chestnuts, rinsed and drained, diced
¼ cup chopped green onions
¼ tsp each sea salt and ground black pepper
2 heads butter lettuce
¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
2 tbsp snipped chives
1. Place all sauce ingredients in a jar. Seal and shake until smooth. Set aside.
2. Drain tofu and cut lengthwise into 8 planks. Place each plank between layers of paper towels and press to absorb as much water as possible. Stack planks and slice lengthwise into 4 slices, then slice crosswise into bite-size cubes.
3. In a large nonstick skillet on medium-high, heat one-half of olive oil. Add zucchini, mushrooms, bell pepper and garlic and sauté for 3 minutes, stirring often. Stir in water chestnuts and green onions and cook for 1 minute longer. Transfer to a plate.
4. Wipe out skillet and heat remaining olive oil on mediumhigh. Add tofu. Season with salt and pepper and cook until golden on the bottom. Flip and continue to cook, turning, until most of the sides are lightly golden, 6 minutes. Add half of the sauce and stir to coat.
5. Place lettuce leaves on a plate. Top each lettuce leaf with vegetables and tofu. Drizzle with additional sauce. Garnish with cilantro and chives.
NOTE: If following our Meal Plan, make sauce ahead. Cook one-half of veg-tofu mixture for the first 2 servings of the week. Store one-half of the veg-tofu mixture (uncooked) in the refrigerator along with sauce; cook and assemble when called for.
PER SERVING (1/4 of recipe): Calories: 373, Total Fat: 25 g, Sat. Fat: 3 g, Monounsaturated Fat: 13 g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 7 g, Carbs: 20 g, Fiber: 7 g, Sugars: 9 g, Protein: 19 g, Sodium: 509 mg, Cholesterol: 0 mg