Grain-Free Matcha-Lemon Marble Bread
SERVES 8. HANDS-ON TIME: 20 MINUTES. TOTAL TIME: 1 HOUR.
Made without any processed grains and low in added sugar, this grain-free quick bread is a smart way to enjoy a sweet treat without putting strain on the liver. Diets that contain a lot of high-glycemic grains (such as processed white flour) and sugars (such as high-fructose syrups) are associated with high risk of both fatty liver disease and type 2 diabetes.
2 cups blanched almond flour ¼ cup arrowroot 2 tbsp collagen peptides ½ tsp each baking powder and baking soda ¼ tsp sea salt 3 large eggs, room temperature ¼ cup ghee, melted
(or avocado oil)
¼ cup honey
1 lemon, zested and juiced
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
2 tbsp matcha powder GLAZE (OPTIONAL)
¼ cup coconut butter
1 tbsp honey
2 tsp fresh lemon juice
Pinch sea salt
5 tsp boiling water, or as needed
1. Preheat oven to 350ºF. Line a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan with parchment paper.
2. Prepare bread: In a large bowl, whisk together almond flour, arrowroot, collagen, baking powder, baking soda and salt. In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs, ghee, honey, lemon zest and juice and vanilla until well combined. Pour egg mixture into flour mixture and fold together until just combined.
3. Transfer about one-third of batter to a medium bowl; stir matcha into batter in medium bowl and mix well. Spread half of remaining batter in loaf pan. Drop spoonfuls of matcha batter over batter in loaf pan. Repeat layers. Use a sharp knife or a chopstick to swirl batters together in a marble pattern.
4. Bake until golden and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, 40 to 45 minutes (cover with foil if it starts to brown too quickly). Transfer to a wire rack to cool. After 10 minutes, remove bread from pan and place on rack to cool completely.
5. Meanwhile, make glaze (if using): In a bowl, whisk together coconut butter, honey, lemon juice and salt. Whisk in boiling water, 1 tsp at a time, until glaze has thinned to a spreadable consistency. Drizzle over cooled bread before slicing and serving. Store leftovers covered in the fridge.
PER SERVING (¼ of recipe):
Calories: 307, Total Fat: 23 g, Sat.
Fat: 6 g, Monounsaturated
Fat: 12 g, Polyunsaturated
Fat: 4 g, Carbs: 18 g,
Fiber: 3 g, Sugars: 10 g,
Protein: 11 g, Sodium: 206 mg, Cholesterol: 86 mg