Huskies fall in over­time

Cincy wins sixth straight against UConn

Connecticut Post (Sunday) - - Sports - By David Borges

CINCINNATI — Newly re­fur­bished arena, fa­mil­iar — though hardly sim­i­lar — re­sult.

UConn trailed by 11 in the sec­ond half and by eight with less than six min­utes to play, but ral­lied back to take the lead, then sent the game into over­time on an Al­terique Gil­bert run­ner as time ex­pired.

Even with lead­ing scorer Jalen Adams sit­ting on the bench af­ter foul­ing out with 21⁄ min­utes left in reg

2 ula­tion.

How­ever, Cincinnati used a steady stream of trips to the foul line and a big 3- pointer by Justin Jenifer to pull out a 74- 72 vic­tory at Fifth Third Arena.

Cincinnati has now won six straight over UConn. The prior five were by an av­er­age mar­gin of 15.4 points.

Cincinnati led by 11 ( 4635) af­ter a Keith Wil­liams bas­ket ( on a Sid Wil­son goal­tend) with 12: 44 left in reg­u­la­tion. UConn went zone and chipped away at the lead, but the Bearcats used a bar­rage of free throws to take a 56- 48 lead with 6: 13 left.

The Huskies coun­tered with three straight 3- point-

ers, two of them by Chris­tian Vi­tal — the lat­ter giv­ing UConn its first lead

( 57- 56) since the 7: 18 mark of the first half.

But Adams fouled out with 2: 26 left and Jar­ron Cum­ber­land hit a pair of free throws. And when Nysier Brooks slammed home a dunk with 1: 52 left to put the Bearcats up four, it didn’t look good for the Huskies.

But Gil­bert hit a 3- pointer. With 40.2 sec­onds left, Cane Broome hit one of two free throws. Cincinnati burned a cou­ple of fouls, and with 4.5 sec­onds left, UConn in­bounded the ball to Gil­bert, who drove the lane and hit a run­ner to send it to OT.

Jenifer’s trey with 1: 20 left in OT put the Bearcats up five. Again, UConn didn’t give in, get­ting to within two on Gil­bert’s con­ven­tional three- point play with 11.7 sec­onds left.

Jenifer missed a pair of foul shots with 7.8 sec­onds left, and the Huskies had a chance to win or tie. But Vi­tal lost the han­dle on the ball out on the wing, then com­mit­ted an of­fen­sive foul with 1.5 sec­onds re­main­ing. Cincy ac­tu­ally turned the ball over at mid­court, but Sid Wil­son’s des­per­a­tion trey came af­ter the buzzer ( and missed, any­way).

The Huskies played well for most of the first half and trailed by just a point at half­time. But Cincinnati scored the first six points of the lat­ter half and grad­u­ally upped its lead to 11.

UConn got off to an 11- 3 start and didn’t trial for the first 14 min­utes of play. But the Huskies started get­ting care­less with the ball and had in­creas­ing trou­ble get­ting off good shots against the Bearcats’ matchup zone. Cincinnati led by five with 1: 40 left in

the half, but 3- point­ers by Adams and Tarin Smith — sand­wiched around a Nyser Brooks jump hook — got the Huskies to within one ( 33- 32) at half­time.

The Bearcats have now beat UConn six straight games, and are an Adams 75- footer away from hav­ing now won the last nine meet­ings.

UConn hasn’t won at Fifth Third Arena since Feb. 27, 2011, a stretch of seven straight losses.


Long­time UConn ra­dio 1 an­a­lyst Wayne Nor­man was un­able to go on the air for the sec­ond game in a row due to a bout with pharyn­gi­tis. Nor­man, who didn’t even make it to Gam­pel Pav­il­ion for UConn’s win over SMU Thurs­day night, made the trip to Cincinnati. How­ever, his voice just wasn’t strong enough for the ra­dio broad­cast.

UConn men’s bas­ket­ball SID Phil Chardis helped out play- by- play man Mike Crispino on the broad­cast.

Due to snowy con­di­tions 1 Satur­day night in Cincinnati, the Huskies were slated to make about an 90- minute bus ride to Lex­ing­ton, Ken­tucky af­ter the game and fly back to Hart­ford via char­ter from there.

John Min­chillo / As­so­ci­ated Press

Cincinnati’s Tre Scott shoots over UConn’s Tyler Pol­ley dur­ing Satur­day’s game in Cincinnati.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from USA

© PressReader. All rights reserved.