Connecticut Post (Sunday)

EMT accused of kidnapping woman tried to get 2019 case dropped


A Milford EMT accused of kidnapping a woman he previously dated at gunpoint last month was twice denied probation programs that could have dismissed charges related to breaking into another ex-girlfriend’s home in 2019, judicial records show.

Bradley Doyle, who has been placed on unpaid leave as an EMT at American Medical Response in Bridgeport, is accused of kidnapping a female co-worker he recently dated when she ended her shift on Feb. 23, police said.

Doyle, 22, of Milford, called and threatened to kill the 22year-old and himself before forcing the woman into her car at gunpoint and speeding off in the driver’s seat around 1 a.m., according to a state police incident report.

The woman told police Doyle tossed the Glock airsoft gun in a Haddam neighborho­od as state troopers were closing in on them, according to an incident report.

Doyle was apprehende­d and the woman was found safe in Higganum, about an hour north of where the kidnapping occurred outside AMR on Connecticu­t Avenue in Bridgeport, the incident report stated.

Hours after the arrest, a New Britain Superior Court Judge reiterated his stance on why he denied Doyle’s second attempt for a probation program, which if successful­ly completed, would have dismissed charges related to a 2019 incident where he was accused of forcing his way into another former girlfriend’s home in Wallingfor­d, records show.

According to a warrant for his arrest in the Wallingfor­d case, Doyle tried to barge into his exgirlfrie­nd’s home, but the woman’s father stopped him at the door while other family members called police.

The case was transferre­d to state Superior Court in New Britain due to a conflict of interest at New Haven Superior Court. Although the case is being heard in New Britain, the prosecutor is from the Chief State’s Attorney’s Office, judicial records show.

Alaine Griffin, a spokespers­on for the Chief State’s Attorney’s Office, has not responded to questions about why the case was transferre­d to New Britain.

Doyle, who is facing charges of attempted second-degree burglary, disorderly conduct and making a false statement in the Wallingfor­d incident, has twice been denied probation programs that could dismiss the case, court records show.

After being denied accelerate­d rehabilita­tion, a New Britain Superior Court judge rejected Doyle’s applicatio­n for a supervised diversiona­ry program after the victim’s family and prosecutor spoke out against the plan, records show.

The judge denied the request in January and then reiterated his stance on Feb. 23, calling the Wallingfor­d charges “too serious” to grant him the supervised program. The judge’s comments came hours after Doyle was arrested in the Bridgeport kidnapping.

AMR said Doyle was placed on unpaid leave after the Feb. 23 arrest. However, an AMR spokespers­on has not responded to questions about whether Doyle was an employee when the Wallingfor­d incident occurred or if the company was aware of those charges.

Doyle was free on $75,000 bond in the Wallingfor­d case when police said the Bridgeport kidnapping occurred last month.

Police said they were notified of the kidnapping when a witness called 911 after seeing Doyle force the woman into her car around 1 a.m. on Feb. 23.

State police spotted the vehicle in several towns and at one point chased the car on Route 8 in Shelton, but broke off the pursuit, according to the incident report.

State police tracked the woman’s phone and located the vehicle traveling through Durham, Haddam and then into Higganum, the incident report stated.

The car was finally stopped on Route 81 in Higganum where state police said they removed Doyle at gunpoint and the victim was found safe, the report stated.

The woman told troopers Doyle tossed a gun out of the car while they were driving on a culde-sac in Haddam, the report said. State police said they located a Glock airsoft pistol in the area where the woman directed them.

The Connecticu­t State Police Troop F barracks, which made the arrest in Higganum, charged Doyle with carrying a pistol without a permit and carrying a dangerous weapon.

The state police Troop I barracks, which initiated the pursuit in Shelton, charged Doyle with reckless operation of a motor vehicle, disobeying an officers signal, engaging police in pursuit, failure to maintain proper lane, interferin­g with police and first-degree reckless endangerme­nt.

Doyle was given a non-surety bond for the state police charges and transferre­d to Bridgeport police custody. Bridgeport police said they will charge Doyle with robbery by carjacking, first-degree kidnapping, first-degree unlawful restraint, first-degree threatenin­g and first-degree reckless endangerme­nt once he’s released from the hospital. Bond for the Bridgeport charges has been set at $1 million.

Bridgeport police said Doyle checked himself into a hospital for an undisclose­d condition after he was released from state police custody. In their report, state police said Doyle was examined by medics before they arrested and released him. Bridgeport police said they have been guarding Doyle while he’s in the hospital.

Doyle’s attorney Ed Gavin declined comment on his client’s cases.

 ?? ??

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from United States