Country Living (USA)
WORKING TIME 25 minutes TOTAL TIME
15 minutes MAKES
16 servings (11 cups)
1 cup heavy cream
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
2 cinnamon sticks, broken
1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg, plus more for serving 4 cups whole milk, divided 8 large eggs, separated
3 /4 cup granulated sugar
Pinch of kosher salt 3/4 to 1 cup dark rum, bourbon, or cognac
1. Combine heavy cream, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg, and 2 cups milk in a medium saucepan. Bring to a simmer over medium heat until tiny bubbles begin to appear around the edge of the pot (do not let it boil), 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from heat and let steep 30 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, beat egg yolks with an electric mixer on medium speed until combined. Gradually beat in sugar and salt. Increase speed to high and beat until thick and very pale in color, 2 to 3 minutes.
3. Strain spiced cream mixture, discarding solids; return liquid to pot. Slowly beat 1 cup warm cream mixture into yolk mixture on low speed. Return to pot with cream mixture. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly with a rubber spatula, until mixture coats the back of the spatula, 9 to 10 minutes.
4. Place the pot over a large bowl filled with ice water and let cool, stirring occasionally, until chilled, 20 to 30 minutes. Stir in rum, bourbon, or cognac and remaining 2 cups milk.
5. Just before serving, beat egg whites with an electric mixer until soft peaks form, 1 to 2 minutes; fold into eggnog. Serve topped with grated nutmeg.