Country Sampler Special Edition
Southern Layered Cornbread Salad
This simple layered salad comes together in only 20 minutes and includes a bonus layer of sweet cornbread. Blair Lonergan of The Seasoned Mom notes that it’s a sure crowd-pleaser!
1 (10-ounce) package chopped
1 (8.5-ounce) box Jiffy corn muffin mix, baked and cooled according to package instructions
16 ounces bacon, cooked
1 (10-ounce) container grape or
cherry tomatoes, halved 1 small Vidalia onion, chopped 8 ounces grated cheddar cheese 1 (10-ounce) bag frozen peas,
½ cup mayonnaise
½ cup sour cream
1 tablespoon sweet pickle juice (or substitute with dill pickle juice or apple cider vinegar) 1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon garlic salt
Optional For Garnish
1. In a clear glass bowl or trifle dish, layer salad ingredients in the order listed above—starting with the lettuce on the bottom. Reserve about one-fourth of the bag of lettuce for filling in the center of the salad later, as necessary.
2. Concentrate the ingredients around the outer edges of the bowl so that they show in pretty, even layers. Fill in any remaining gaps in the middle with additional lettuce.
3. Prepare the dressing by whisking together all of the salad dressing ingredients in a small bowl.
4. Spread dressing evenly over the top of the salad. Garnish with fresh minced chives or green onions, if desired.
5. Refrigerate until ready to serve. Just before serving, toss together the ingredients to completely combine.
Notes: That sweet pickle juice in the dressing gives the salad so much flavor! You can substitute with an equal amount of dill pickle juice if you prefer a less sweet dressing, or you can just use apple cider vinegar instead. Want to prep ahead? Thanks to strategic layers, this salad keeps well in the refrigerator for up to 8 hours without getting soggy. Add some grilled chicken and serve this salad as a main dish!
RECIPE AND PHOTOGRAPH COURTESY OF BLAIR LONERGAN OF THESEASONEDMOM.COM.