Country Sampler Special Edition
Montbrie Cristo Breakfast Grilled Cheese
A mix of sweet and savory turns this sandwich from MacKenzie Smith of Grilled Cheese Social into an enlightened delight. You’ll want to eat it for breakfast, lunch and dinner.
INGREDIENTS French bread, sliced Raspberry jam Brie cheese Turkey slices Ham slices
1. For each sandwich, smear raspberry jam onto one side of two bread slices. The jam’s tart, slightly sweet flavor and raspberry seeds lend variety to the sandwich.
2. Add brie cheese to the jam-spread bread slices, pushing brie slightly into the jam to keep in place.
3. On one raspberry-and-brie bread slice, layer a slice of turkey and a slice of ham so each bite is full of meaty awesomeness.
4. Sprinkle some chopped green onion onto the meat layers and then top the sandwich with the other raspberry-and-brie bread slice.
5. Gently take your sandwich and dip each end in a shallow bowl full of French toast batter. Let sit for a few seconds.
6. Melt butter in a pan and turn the heat to medium. Once the butter begins to bubble, add your batter-soaked sandwich and let it cook for a few minutes on each side until it gets crispy and golden.
7. When the sandwich is toasted, take it out of the pan and let it sit for a second before dousing with powdered sugar. Serve with a side of honey mustard.
Note: To make French toast batter, beat 1 egg in a shallow bowl and then stir in ¼ cup milk, 1 teaspoon vanilla and ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon.
RECIPE AND PHOTOGRAPH COURTESY OF MACKENZIE SMITH OF GRILLEDCHEESESOCIAL.COM.
Green onion French toast batter (See note below.) Butter Powdered sugar