Country Sampler Special Edition
Spinach Artichoke Grilled Cheese
Do we need much more in life than an epically delicious sandwich like this? It’s a favorite of Jaclyn Bell of Cooking Classy. The cheesy spinach artichoke blend was made for filling grilled cheese sandwiches.
1. Heat 1 teaspoon butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and sauté until lightly golden and fragrant, about 30 to 60 seconds. Add in spinach and artichoke hearts, season with salt, and sauté until spinach wilts.
2. Transfer the sautéed mixture to several layers of paper towels. Once it’s cool enough to handle, wrap with paper towels and squeeze out the excess moisture.
3. Butter the outsides of all the bread slices.
4. On the non-buttered side of three slices of bread, layer half the cheese, spinach artichoke mixture, tiny dollops of sour cream, and the remaining cheese. Top with the remaining slices of bread (buttered side up).
5. Wipe the skillet clean and then heat over medium-low heat. Add as many sandwiches as you can fit. Cover with a lid and cook until the bottoms of the sandwiches are golden brown. Carefully flip the sandwiches, cover with the lid, and cook the opposite sides until golden brown. Serve immediately.
RECIPE AND PHOTOGRAPH COURTESY OF JACLYN BELL OF COOKINGCLASSY.COM. RECIPE ADOPTED FROM ACOUPLECOOKS.COM.
INGREDIENTS 4 ounces chopped fresh spinach, rinsed and drained (leave water that clings to leaves) 1 cup canned quartered artichoke hearts, drained and chopped (5.3 ounces) 2 cloves garlic, minced 2 tablespoons + 1 teaspoon butter Salt 2 tablespoons sour cream 11⁄3 cups shredded provolone cheese ¼ cup finely shredded Parmesan cheese 6 slices fresh hearty bread