Country Sampler Special Edition
Makes 2 pies
Amy Buchanan of Atta Girl Says developed this recipe to replicate her husband’s grandmother’s homemade pie. It tastes similar to bread pudding, and Amy recommends using homemade applesauce, if you have the time to whip it up.
INGREDIENTS For Biscuit Crust 2 cups all-purpose flour 1 tablespoon baking powder ¾ teaspoon salt 6 tablespoons cold butter, cut into cubes ¾ cup milk
For Filling 4 eggs 2 sticks butter, melted and cooled 2 teaspoons vanilla extract 1 to 1½ cups sugar (optional, depending on the sweetness of the applesauce used) 2 cups applesauce (For homemade, see recipe at right.) 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour 2 teaspoons nutmeg Cinnamon to taste
INSTRUCTIONS For Homemade Applesauce
1. Place chopped apples, lemon juice, and water in a large pan and cover.
2. Bring to a low boil over medium-low heat. Stir occasionally, using the back of a spoon to mash the apples as they soften. Continue cooking covered for 15 to 20 minutes until the apples are soft and the sauce is the desired consistency.
3. Remove from heat and stir in sugar and cinnamon. You may need to add more sugar, depending on how sweet you want your applesauce to be. Allow to cool slightly before preparing pies.
For Biscuit Crust
1. Combine the flour, baking powder, and salt in a food processor. Pulse to blend.
2. Add butter and pulse into the flour mixture until it resembles coarse crumbs.
3. Add the milk and pulse until a soft dough forms. Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and divide into two balls.
4. Roll out the balls into two crusts and press into pie pans. Use a fork to pierce the bottom and sides of the crusts.
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. Use a mixer to combine eggs, cooled melted butter, vanilla and optional sugar.
3. Mix in cooled applesauce, flour and nutmeg.
4. Pour the mixture into the biscuit crusts, being careful not to overfill. Sprinkle with cinnamon.
5. Place the pie pans on a baking sheet and bake for 45 minutes, until the center of each pie is set. You may need to cover the edges of the pies with foil to keep them from browning too quickly.
RECIPE AND PHOTOGRAPH COURTESY OF AMY BUCHANAN OF ATTAGIRLSAYS.COM.
For Homemade Applesauce 6 medium apples, peeled, cored and chopped 1 tablespoon lemon juice ¾ cup water ½ cup sugar ½ tablespoon ground cinnamon