My grandmother made the best shoofly pie in the tradition of the Pennsylvania Dutch. Shoofly pie is to the Pennsylvania Dutch as pecan pie is to a southerner.
PREP: 20 MIN. + CHILLING BAKE: 65 MIN. + COOLING MAKES: 8 SERVINGS
Pastry for singlecrust pie (9 in.)
1/2 cup packed brown sugar 1/2 cup molasses
1 large egg
11/2 tsp. all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 cup boiling water
1 egg yolk
11/2 cups all-purpose flour
³/4 cup packed brown sugar ³/4 tsp. baking soda
6 Tbsp. cold butter
1. On a floured surface, roll pastry dough to fit a 9-in. pie plate. Trim and flute edge. Chill 30 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 425°. For filling, mix brown sugar, molasses, egg, flour and baking soda. Gradually stir in boiling water; cool completely.
3. Line the unpricked pastry with a double thickness of heavy-duty foil. Bake 15 minutes. Remove foil; brush crust with egg yolk. Bake 5 minutes. Cool on a wire rack. Reduce oven to 350°.
4. In another bowl, whisk together first four topping ingredients. Cut in butter until crumbly. Add filling to crust; sprinkle with topping. Cover edge with foil.
5. Bake until top is golden brown and filling is set, 45-50 minutes. Cool on a wire rack. Cover and refrigerate leftovers.
PER SERVING 540 cal., 22g fat (13g sat. fat), 99mg chol., 630mg sod., 82g carb. (49g sugars, 1g fiber), 6g pro.