Herbed Accordion Dinner Rolls
To dress up everyday dinner rolls, brush herbed butter over this dough, then form accordion rolls. The aroma while baking is incredible! —TASTE OF HOME TEST KITCHEN PREP: 40 MIN. + RISING • BAKE: 20 MIN. MAKES: 2 DOZEN
2 pkg. (¹ ₄ oz. each) active dry yeast
¹ ₂ cup warm water (110° to 115°) 1 tsp. plus ¹ ₃ cup sugar, divided 1¹ ₄ cups warm 2% milk
(110° to 115°)
¹ ₂ cup butter, melted
2 large eggs, room temperature 1¹ ₂ tsp. salt
6 to 6¹ ₂ cups all-purpose flour 3 Tbsp. butter, softened
1 tsp. Italian seasoning
1 large egg white, beaten
1. Dissolve yeast in warm water with 1 tsp. sugar. Add milk, melted butter, eggs, salt, 3 cups flour and remaining sugar; beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
2. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
3. Punch dough down; place on a lightly floured surface. Divide into four portions. Roll each portion into a 14x6-in. rectangle. Combine the softened butter and Italian seasoning; spread over dough.
4. Score each rectangle widthwise at 2-in. intervals. Using marks as a guide, fold dough accordion-style back and forth along score lines.
Cut the folded dough into six 1-in. pieces. Place pieces cut side down in greased muffin cups. Cover and rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
5. Preheat oven to 375°. Uncover rolls and rest another 10 minutes. Brush with egg white. Bake until golden brown, 18-22 minutes. Remove from pans to wire racks. Serve warm. 1 ROLL 186 cal., 6g fat (4g sat. fat), 32mg chol., 200mg sod., 28g carb. (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g pro. Diabetic exchanges: 11/2 starch, 1 fat.