Police on lookout for package thieves
State police are advising residents to take precautions. Because of the holidays, many deliveries are being made.
AVONDALE >> After a number of thefts of packages from porches in Chester County, state police are advising residents to take precautions. Because of the holidays, many deliveries are being made.
Recently State Police in Avondale barracks and Lancaster barracks investigated multiple reports of packages being stolen from the front porch and mail being taken from the mailboxes. While State Police are actively investigating these thefts, police are asking the public to help by securing their packages.
In nearby Delaware County, Upper Darby Police Department is looking for a number of persons who stole mailed items that were waiting at the front doors of their intended recipients from three different addresses throughout the township on Monday and Tuesday.
The first theft occurred Monday evening sometime around 5 and 6 p.m. in the 4600 block of Woodlawn Avenue in Upper Darby. A package delivered by Amazon containing a Monopoly board game, toys and a hair care product was swiped from this address, said Upper Darby Police Superintendent Michael Chitwood on Tuesday afternoon.
The second incident was caught on home surveillance video where four teenagers were identified swiping a package delivered by the postal service containing a pair of brown dress shoes. The theft occurred Monday night at approximately 7:45 p.m. in the 3900 block of Mary Street in Drexel Hill. Police are in the process of securing the surveillance footage from the private residence for investigation.
There are multiple ways to secure deliveries and help prevent thefts.
• Amazon Locker or UPS store will hold your item until you are able to pick it up.
• Have the packaged delivered to your workplace if company policy allows it.
• Have deliveries go to a friend’s house that is home.
• Request for signature delivery.
• Reroute or reschedule delivery times for when you are home.
• Install a secure mail/package locker at your residence for mail and deliveries.
• Install a surveillance camera or doorbell device to help prevent thefts.