Jury gets case of teen’s fa­tal 2016 shoot­ing

Ket­ter­ing man ac­cused ac­cused of mur­der­ing fel­low stu­dent in fight.

Dayton Daily News - - LOCAL & STATE - By Nick Bliz­zard Staff Writer

Clos­ing ar­gu­ments were held Fri­day in the trial of a teenager ac­cused of mur­der­ing a Fair­mont High School stu­dent in 2016, and the jury be­gan its de­lib­er­a­tions.

Kylen Gre­gory, 18, is fac­ing two counts of mur­der, five counts of felo­nious as­sault and one count of dis­charg­ing a firearm at or near a pro­hib­ited premise in the death of Ron­nie Bow­ers, a fel­low Fair­mont High School stu­dent, on Sept. 4, 2016.

Gre­gory tes­ti­fied Thurs­day that the shot he fired to­ward the car in which Bow­ers was sit­ting was the first he ever fired. He also said he was aim­ing at the trunk.

Pros­e­cu­tor Lynda Dodd told the jury Fri­day not to be­lieve Gre­gory’s tes­ti­mony that he wanted to send a mes­sage with that shot.

“He could have shot into the ground. He could have shot it in the air,” she said. “If this is a mes­sage to scare, there’s no rea­son to load it with a bul­let.”

Dodd said Gre­gory ad­mit­ted that he stepped out of the car, pointed a loaded gun at Bow­ers’ car and fired it.

“That’s not reck­less. That’s know­ing,” she said.

Gre­gory’s at­tor­ney, Jon Paul Rion, told the jury that Gre­gory did not in­tend to shoot Bow­ers.

“Kylen Gre­gory had no emo­tional anger to­ward any­one,” Rion said. “This re­ally wasn’t his fight.”

Rion said, “This was sup­posed to be a fist fight at best.”

“It was only one shot — not six shots into the car ... he just wasn’t think­ing,” Rion added.

Fri­day was the fifth day of Gre­gory’s trial, which comes more than two years af­ter the in­ci­dent that hap­pened near Al­terFest in Ket­ter­ing. Both Gre­gory and Bow­ers were 16 when the in­ci­dent hap­pened, and the case against Gre­gory was trans­ferred from ju­ve­nile to com­mon pleas court in the sum­mer of 2017.

Wit­nesses tes­ti­fied this week the dis­pute that led to the shoot­ing raised it­self at Al­terFest ear­lier in the night and in­volved friends of Bow­ers and Gre­gory.

Cameron Wil­son, a pas­sen­ger in Bow­ers’ car, and Jerry Tan­ner got into a con­fronta­tion at the fes­ti­val, prompt­ing Bow­ers’ group to leave the event to avoid trou­ble, wit­nesses and at­tor­neys said.

In the fall of 2016, Tan­ner, now 19, was one of two ju­ve­niles who pleaded guilty to lesser charges.

Bow­ers, Wil­son and two girls they were with walked back to Wil­low­dale Av­enue, where Bow­ers had parked for Al­terFest. The group with Gre­gory and Tan­ner — in a car driven by Miles Heizer — tracked the vic­tim’s group to Wil­low­dale and par­tially blocked them in a drive­way as Bow­ers tried to flee, wit­nesses said.

Af­ter mem­bers of Gre­gory’s group sur­rounded Bow­ers’ car, he was able to back out of the drive­way and pull away be­fore Gre­gory fired the gun, wit­nesses and at­tor­neys said. Con­tact this re­porter at 937225-2166 or email Nick.Bliz­zard@ cox­inc.com.

Kylen Gre­gory tes­ti­fied he was aim­ing at Ron­nie Bow­ers’ car, not the teen him­self.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from USA

© PressReader. All rights reserved.