Man killed, officer shot during standoff
A man died and a Barberton police officer was hospitalized Friday after a domestic violence call that led to an eight-hour SWAT standoff in New Franklin.
Charles Cook, 48, died Friday after he was shot at a home, according to the Summit County Medical Examiner’s Office.
New Franklin police officers responded about 7 p.m. Thursday for a call about a domestic violence incident.
Cook barricaded himself with a loaded gun inside a bedroom. After three hours of asking Cook to come out, officers around 10 p.m. called in the Barberton area SWAT team, composed of officers from New Franklin, Norton and Barberton.
Officers continued to talk with Cook, who refused to surrender. Around 3 a.m., Cook fired gunshots through the door and struck a Barberton police officer in both legs. SWAT members returned fire and shot Cook. Tactical medics treated both Cook and the officer at the scene, where Cook was pronounced dead.
Officer Brandon Watson, 36, underwent surgery and was in stable condition.
A lawyer for an Ohio doctor under investigation in connection with dozens of hospital deaths says they’re waiting to receive records from the hospital as local authorities review the matter.
Attorney Richard Blake said Friday it would be inappropriate for him to discuss details about Dr. William Husel’s situation.
The Columbus-area Mount Carmel Health System says it found the intensive care doctor ordered potentially fatal doses of pain medicine for at least 28 patients. Husel was fired in December.
Some families are questioning whether hospital employees wrongly used drugs to hasten patients’ deaths. Husel and the hospital face at least 14 wrongful-death lawsuits, including one filed Thursday over the February 2015 death of 75-year-old Emma Bogan.
Mount Carmel publicly apologized and put 23 other employees on leave.
Cleveland Police Patrolmen’s Association President Jeff Follmer said the conviction was extortion-related from more than a decade ago, but was unsure of the exact charge or circumstances.
Follmer said the FBI notified the police department about the prior conviction.
Simmons did not disclose the conviction in his application, the city said. Simmons graduated from the police academy Jan. 18.
He was on probationary status on basic patrol until Friday, when Internal Affairs launched an investigation into Simmons’ background, the city said. on it, The Columbus Dispatch reports.
Hickman, 64, is a member of the PCH VIP Elite loyalty program, indicating he enters the sweepstakes frequently. His advice to other sweepstakes players who have entered and haven’t won yet: “Keep entering. Persistence pays off.”
What will he do with the $1 million? After paying taxes on the cash, Hickman plans to take a vacation to Australia and buy his dream car.
Hickman is the second Columbus winner in as many years for the New York-based direct marketing company best known for the sweepstakes and Prize Patrol that promote magazine subscriptions.
Howard Hickman of Pickerington won $1 million last week from Publishers Clearing House.