Warm Winter Baked Pasta Dishes
Pumpkin & Gruyere Baked Macaroni & Cheese Muffins
YIELD: 12 MUFFINS PREP TIME: 15 MINUTES TOTAL TIME: 40 MINUTES GLUTEN-FREE, SOY-FREE, NUT-FREE, RICE-FREE
These mac and cheese muffins are the perfect make-ahead dinner for the kiddos (and mom and dad too)! Eat them piping hot out of the oven, or refrigerate for up to three days and reheat in the microwave before serving. 1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line a 12-cup muffin pan with liners or lightly spray the muffin cups with a nonstick spray and set aside.
2. Cook gluten-free pasta according to package instructions. Drain and set aside in a large mixing bowl.
3. While the pasta is cooking, in a medium-sized pot, heat butter over medium-high heat. Whisk in the cornstarch and cook, whisking constantly, for 1 minute.
4. Slowly whisk in the milk and cook, whisking constantly, until the mixture thickens, about 5 minutes. The mixture should coat the back of a spoon.
5. Once the milk mixture is thick, stir in the grated Gruyere, sharp cheddar cheese and cream cheese. Stir constantly until the cheese has melted. Stir in the Dijon mustard, nutmeg and salt.
6. Remove the pan from heat and stir in the pumpkin puree and eggs. Pour this mixture over the top of the cooked gluten-free elbow pasta and stir together until well combined.
7. Divide the mixture evenly among the prepared muffin cups and sprinkle each top with grated Parmesan cheese. Bake for 24 to 28 minutes or until lightly browned.
NUTRITION PER SERVING: CALORIES: 227, FAT: 2G, SATURATED FAT: 0G, SODIUM: 368MG, CARBOHYDRATES: 17G, FIBER: 2G, SUGARS: 2G, PROTEIN: 10G
2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9x13-inch glass baking dish with nonstick spray and set aside.
3. In a large, high-sided skillet, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add in the sweet Italian sausage and cook, stirring constantly to break up the sausage into small pieces, until the sausage is lightly browned.
4. Add in the peppers, onions and celery and cook, stirring frequently, until the onions are soft and translucent, about 5 minutes. Add in the garlic and cook for 1 minute until fragrant.
5. Reduce heat to medium and gently stir in the tomato sauce, petite diced tomatoes, brown sugar, Italian seasoning and garlic salt. Cook, stirring frequently, until the sauce comes to a slow simmer. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.