Easy Cheesy Steak Fajitas
YIELD: 4 SERVINGS PREP TIME: 10 MINUTES TOTAL TIME: 1 HOUR 50 MINUTES GLUTEN-FREE, EGG-FREE, NUT-FREE
Kids and adults alike won’t be able to resist these tasty fajitas! Serve over your choice of glutenfree tortillas and garnish with fresh cilantro if desired.
1 pound skirt steak, cut into strips ¼ cup + 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided 2 tablespoons lime juice 2 garlic cloves, peeled ½ cup fresh cilantro leaves ½ teaspoon salt ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper 1 small sweet yellow onion, sliced 4 small gluten-free tortillas 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese MARCH - APRIL 2016 1. Transfer the steak strips into a glass dish. Set aside.
2. In the bowl of a food processor, combine ¼ cup olive oil, lime juice, garlic, cilantro, salt and pepper and pulse until smooth, about 2 to 3 minutes. Drizzle this mixture over the steak and toss until evenly coated. Top with sliced onion and cover with plastic wrap.
3. Marinate in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour before cooking.
4. Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium heat and add the onion. Sautee until they begin to soften, about 2 minutes, and add the steak. Make sure to drizzle remaining juices over the steak.
5. Cook steak strips, flipping occasionally, until browned and juices run clear, about 30 minutes.
6. Remove from heat and serve over gluten-free tortillas. Garnish with cheddar cheese and cilantro if desired.
NUTRITION PER SERVING: CALORIES: 560, FAT: 44G, SATURATED FAT 14G, CHOLESTEROL: 104MG, SODIUM: 550MG, CARBOHYDRATES: 12G, FIBER: 2G, SUGARS: 3G, PROTEIN: 31G
For the frosting 2 cups heavy whipping cream ⅓ cup confectioner’s
sugar 1 teaspoon vanilla
extract Sprinkles 1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line 2 muffin pans with cupcake liners and set aside.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together all-purpose flour, sugar, shredded coconut, baking powder and salt.
3. In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat eggs, milk and vanilla extract. Gradually add the dry ingredients and mix until combined thoroughly.
4. Divide the batter evenly among the prepared pans and bake for 25 to 30 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Let cool completely.
5. For the frosting, combine all ingredients in the bowl of a stand mixer. Beat on high speed until whipped consistency is achieved.
6. Top the cupcakes with the frosting and sprinkles if desired. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
NUTRITION PER SERVING: CALORIES: 230, FAT: 11G, SATURATED FAT 6G, CHOLESTEROL: 75MG, SODIUM: 67MG, CARBOHYDRATES: 32G, FIBER: 2G, SUGARS: 21G, PROTEIN: 3G MARCH - APRIL 2016
YIELD: 12 CINNAMON ROLLS PREP TIME: 1 HOUR TOTAL TIME: 1 HOUR AND 30 MINUTES GLUTEN-FREE, NUT-FREE
For the Dough 3½ cups gluten-free all-purpose flour 2½ teaspoons rapid rise yeast 1 teaspoon cinnamon 1 cup whole milk (soy milk or coconut milk work as well) 4 tablespoons butter, softened ½ cup sugar 1 teaspoon salt 2 eggs
For the Filling ½ cup dark brown sugar ½ cup granulated sugar ¼ cup cinnamon 6 tablespoons butter
1. Dough: In the bowl of a standing mixer using the paddle attachment, mix together the gluten-free all-purpose flour, yeast and cinnamon. Set aside.
2. In a small saucepot, combine the milk, butter, sugar and salt and heat over medium-low heat, whisking frequently, until the mixture comes to a slow simmer, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and add the liquid into the stand mixer with the flour and yeast. Mix on medium speed until well combined. Add in the eggs and mix until the dough is smooth.
3. Place the dough into a well-oiled bowl, cover and let rise for 45 minutes or until the dough has doubled in size.
4. Filling: While the dough is rising, make the filling. In a small bowl, mix together the brown sugar, granulated sugar and cinnamon. In a separate bowl, melt the butter. Set aside.
5. Pan Glaze: Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. In a 9x13-inch baking dish, spread out the melted butter for the pan sauce. Whisk together the sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl and sprinkle the mixture over the top of the melted butter. Set aside.
6. Assembly: Transfer the dough to a surface covered with gluten-free all-purpose flour and roll out to a 16x20 rectangle.
7. Spread the melted butter for the filling over the surface of the dough and then sprinkle the sugar and cinnamon mixture evenly across the dough.
8. Roll the dough, starting with the shorter side, and form into a tight cylinder. Cut the dough into 12 equally sized pieces and place each piece into the prepared baking dish. Bake for 22 to 25 minutes until golden and gooey. Drizzle with vanilla frosting if desired.
NUTRITION PER SERVING: CALORIES: 366, FAT: 15G, SATURATED FAT 9G, CHOLESTEROL: 67MG, SODIUM: 318MG, CARBOHYDRATES: 57G, FIBER: 5G, SUGARS: 30G, PROTEIN: 6G MARCH - APRIL 2016