Spinach, Tomato and Cheese Enchiladas
YIELD: 6 SERVINGS PREP TIME: 25 MINUTES TOTAL TIME: 55 MINUTES GLUTEN-FREE, EGG-FREE, NUT-FREE, RICE-FREE
2 tablespoons olive oil 3 (9 ounce) bags fresh spinach leaves 2 cups chopped tomatoes 4 cloves garlic, skin removed and finely
minced 2 teaspoons ground cumin 1 teaspoon salt 12 soft white corn tortillas 2 (10 ounce) cans El Paso Green Enchilada
Sauce 2 cups shredded Monterrey Jack cheese,
divided MAY - JUNE 2016 1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 9x13-inch glass baking dish with nonstick spray and set aside.
2. In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add in the fresh spinach leaves and cook, stirring frequently, for 3 to 5 minutes until the leaves begin to wilt. Add in the chopped tomatoes and cook, stirring frequently for about 2 minutes.
3. Add in the garlic, cumin and salt and cook, stirring frequently, until the garlic is fragrant, about 1 to 2 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
4. To assemble the enchiladas, set up an assembly line with the corn tortillas, enchilada sauce in a wide topped mixing bowl, the spinach filling and 1 cup of the shredded cheese.
5. Dip out 3 tablespoons of the enchilada sauce and spread it evenly across the bottom of the glass baking dish.
6. Take one corn tortilla and dip it into the enchilada sauce. Let excess sauce drip off. Fill the tortilla with 2 tablespoons of the spinach filling and a pinch of shredded cheese. Roll the enchilada and place into the prepared baking dish. Repeat with remaining 11 tortillas.
7. Pour the remaining enchilada sauce over the top of the rolled enchiladas and sprinkle the remaining 1 cup of shredded cheese evenly over the top. Bake for 30 minutes until the cheese is golden and the sauce is bubbly.
8. Serve with sour cream, guacamole, chips and salsa and rice and beans if desired.
NUTRITION PER SERVING: CALORIES: 358, FAT: 18G, SATURATED FAT 7G, CHOLESTEROL: 33MG, SODIUM: 1322MG, CARBOHYDRATES: 34G, FIBER: 7G, SUGARS: 6G, PROTEIN: 14G