Coconut Mango Rice
YIELD: 8 SERVINGS PREP TIME: 20 MINUTES TOTAL TIME: 30 MINUTES GLUTEN-FREE, DAIRY-FREE, EGG-FREE, SOY-FREE, CORN-FREE
2 cups Jasmine rice 2 cups coconut milk 1 cup water 6 tablespoons coconut oil, divided 1 cup finely chopped sweet yellow onion 2 tablespoons finely minced garlic 1 teaspoon salt 1 cup finely chopped mango ½ cup finely chopped cilantro leaves
1. In a medium-sized pot, combine rice, coconut milk, water and 2 tablespoons coconut oil and bring to a boil. Cover with a tight fitting lid, reduce heat to low and simmer for 15 minutes. Remove the pot from the heat with the lid still on and let steam off heat for 10 additional minutes. Fluff with a fork and set aside.
2. In a large high-sided sauté pan, heat 2 tablespoons of coconut oil over medium heat. Add in the chopped onion and cook, stirring frequently, until the onions are soft and translucent, about 5 to 7 minutes. Add in the garlic and cook 1 additional minute until the garlic is fragrant.
3. Add in the remaining 2 tablespoons of coconut oil and melt. Once melted, add in the Jasmine rice. Use a large spoon to break up the rice and toss with the coconut oil and onions and garlic.
4. Once the rice is fully coated with coconut oil, add in the salt and mango. Cook, stirring frequently, for 3 to 4 minutes until the rice and mango are hot.
5. Remove from heat and stir in the chopped cilantro. Serve immediately.
NUTRITION PER SERVING: CALORIES: 418, FAT: 25G, SATURATED FAT 22G, CHOLESTEROL: 0MG, SODIUM: 302MG, CARBOHYDRATES: 44G, FIBER: 2G, SUGARS: 6G, PROTEIN: 5G MAY - JUNE 2016